New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a break-in load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I fianlly got my rifle after 30 months from ordering the action, almost a year at the gunsmith's and nine months since we sat down and pow-wowed about what I wanted to do with the rifle so he could build it like I have dreamed it. I need someone to post some pictures for me after I take them and process them. Any takers?

Tomorrow it goes to the Reno public range and gets broken-in. I need a load for a 300WSM using 165gr Hornady SPBT Interlock bullets (p/n 3045), Winchester brass, CCI #250 magnum primers and Hodgdon H4350 powder. I am not shooting for any kind of accuracy; I just want the bullet to come out the other end at the usual high rate of speed. Thanks.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please do yourself a big favor and buy a reloading manual. Read it from cover to cover twice. You'll find loads listed in the manual that have been tested and are found to be safe.
You could also buy some factory ammo to use for break in and then you'd have some fireformed brass for reloading.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What eddie said +1. It's very difficult to handload by asking others what they use. I have (3) manuals & still go to the powder manuf. sites when working up something new.
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/300winshortmag.php

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer,

Good advice above. There are lots of loads for the 300 WSM at http://www.shortmags.org

I will try to post your pics so email them to me. What is your action, barrel and stock? What scope and mounts? If I recall its a LH M1999.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI always read the reloading manuals and pick a good starting load and use it. Using factory loads works well also. Some times I run a box of factory loads through a new rifle then go to reloading. Read, ask, study, ask again, study again and start low.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
What everyone else said and....

I've been working with a 168 gr boattail in my 300wsm and have found that 62.5 gr of IMR4350 seems to be in an accuracy node and is below the maxs shown in the manuals.
CCI BR-2 primers get the nod in this loading but the difference was small against the 210 and GM210M and more pronounced with the GM215M.

YMMV

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I have good luck with Varget for accuracy and H4350 for velocity in the 165/168 grain range in my 300WSM.

IIRC, 55 grains Varget (3/4MOA) and 65 grains H4350 (1MOA). No surprise that Nosler BT's and Sierra MK's give me top accuracy.

Hodgdon's 300WSM data

Truth be known, any starting load will get the bullets to come out the other end, but even break in loads can be used to get an idea of the potential of a new rifle/bullet/powder combo...as well as serve to get the scope on paper.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to the Hodgdon site after having posted the question and found 61.0 grains H4350 to be the starting load for my bullet. I used 60.0 grains to be on the safe side. The rifle was not fired for accuracy, so nothing to report.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote