New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turret Type Presses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read all the feedback on the progressive presses, looks like the Dillon is pretty popular. I bought a Square Deal many years ago and no complaints, except it doesn't care for 300 grain 44 bullets. One wish is that they would expand into some different calibers.

I have looked at and used several progressives but keep going back to look at the turret presses. Redding, Lyman, Lee,.... What kind of experiance have you guys had with these?
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an old Herters turret that I can put six dies in at one time and it is a dandy. That means three calibers at one time. I have never had a progressive set up, really don't do enough loading for one, but know a couple of dedicated pistol shooters that use "GASP"! Lee and really like them. If I was going to buy a turret today, I would be looking for an older Lyman or Herters.I like cast iron better than aluminum.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I have not used it , I have been tempted to buy the Redding turret many times . They are built like a tank , and rigid enough to be used for anything that any other heavy duty press can be used for . I believe RCBS is also making a turret now .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
I read all the feedback on the progressive presses, looks like the Dillon is pretty popular. I bought a Square Deal many years ago and no complaints, except it doesn't care for 300 grain 44 bullets. One wish is that they would expand into some different calibers.

I have looked at and used several progressives but keep going back to look at the turret presses. Redding, Lyman, Lee,.... What kind of experiance have you guys had with these?
Jeff

I have one of the old Lyman All American 4 station turret presses and got it in a trade....it was one of the better-more solid designs according to articles on turret presses...with the single ram and 4 die spaces it just keeps you from having to change dies after each step in the loading process and this helps some people...for small amounts of ammo they are nice for bulk type loads....IMO....but for precision the single stage is easier to keep aligned and for bulk/mass loadings such as pistol ammo the full progressive....Dillon.....is the way to go......check and see if you can find a local shooter/loader with one for you to try....it might save you some money and make your decision easier.....good luck and good shooting-laoding!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jsh, I trust you are aware that in the larger Dillon presses, like the 550, you can use anyone's dies. I used my RCBS in mine and it worked beautifully. What cartridges are you wanting to reload? Unless it's something really wild, I can't see a problem

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Fisher>
posted
Jsh, I have a Lyman Turret press that is probably around 30 years old. My father bought it and used it before me. I still use it on a weekly basis. If it was going to let me down I'm sure it would have done it by now. I'm sure all the others are just as good. I just haven't had a need to try them out yet.

<hunting1>
posted
I have a RCBS turret press and am very happy with it. I like the Lyman as well! Good shooting! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
As does big daddy I also have a vintage turret press,The All-American by Lyman. I also have a Dillon 550B. They serve totally different purposes. I can do case forming, sizing bullets with one of the Lee kits,single loading for load development on the Lyman as well as regular loading for cals that I feel aren't worth the setup time on the Dillon,like my 416 and the 300 Whisper for which I have a limited number of cases anyway. And I love my Dillon 550. If need be I could almost do all of the above with the dillon by just using the number one station. I will always have both. One press will do but why not have both ? Life is short and I can decide for myself so I do,,,And you should too ! Its only paper money til you spend it,then I prefer to buy machined steel. Rifles,pistols,presses, motorcycles,fast cars,4x4 trucks all have a place.
45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote