New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3X74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am (well my reloader) trying to get a load for my drilling. He loaded 286 gr Woodleigh softs and solids with the same charge. The softs shoot reasaonably well, but when I tried the solids they shot 10" low and 5" right, but they shot a ragged hole with 3 rounds. Could it be this gun just doesn't like the softs? Any suggestions? The shots were at 50 yds.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I don't understand the question - you said the softs shot reasonably well but you ask if the gun doesn't like softs?

I've been diddling with loads for this cartridge too, so am interested in your problem.

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Tell me a little more about your gun. Are these loads shooting to different points of impact out of the same barrel or different barrels?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a drilling with 1 rifle barrel. They shoot as a group say 3 within 3", but the solids are as stated above far from that area. I will be hunting Pygmy Antelope and will need the solids for them and wanted to use softs for medium size game i e Blesbok, Hartebeest Bush Pig etc. I did email my PH and he has no great objection to solids but like me would like softs, but as the old saying goes "shot placement" and a single ragged hole is hard to beat.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Die, you got me. I don't have a clue as to why the solids would be shooting ten inches lower than the softs with the same barrel and the same 286 grain Woodleighs. Most guys load their solids with a grain or two less powder because they usually generate higher pressure but ten inches is a lot.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Does your gun not have adjustable sights?

I am guessing that it does not. Otherwise, you would doubtless just adjust the sights to put the point of impact with the solids where you want it in relation to the sights.

Still sounds like it might be a good candidate for mounting a 1-X scope in a QD mount. A bit of an unplanned expense , but likely easy to do by a competent gunsmith.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote