THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compression Load Bullet Seating....Normal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Using a 4" Drop Tube I loaded 79.5gr of RL-33(106.2gr capacity Max Load) for my 7mmRemMag using 168gr Nosler Accubond LR bullets.

While seating the bullets with my Redding Comp Bullet Seating Die I could feel the powder "crush" down as the bullet seated. I had to screw the die down a few additional times to get the desired COAL, but once seated, the bullets stayed in place in the case.

I am going to start below this Max Load and I am going to work up to it but I am wondering if the "crush" is an indication that something is wrong. As I said before the volume for this load is 106.2% volume and listed as a Max Load and not over max.

Thanks!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There are a large number of loads of SLOW powder that give you a crush fit. Provided you are below max and going to work up you should be ok. I normally set 110% as my MAX and shoot for more in the 100-105% range.

The small amount of crushing you are doing shouldn't be an issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ramrod.

My buddy did Quick Load for me and showed 79.5 is Max for 168gr in the 7mm Remington Magnum, but yes I will work up to it.

I got 3,002fps using 70gr of RL-25 with no signs of pressure so I am pretty happy about that but since I got my hands on some RL-33 I thought I would try it out and see what happens.

Anyone here use RL-33 for the 168gr 7mm Rem Mag?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Compressing a powder like R-33 with a load that is over 100%, in a small bore rifle, can cause a pressure spike due the altered burning rate of the compressed powder charge due to a verity of factors at the moment of ignition of the complete charge of powder.
The slow burning powders made for NORMAL,everyday reloading will tolerate some slight compression and is normal in some load data.
A medium to heavy compression is to be avoided.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

My data is from Quick Load. As I said in my first post the compression is 106.2 with the listed pressure 63,000 with max load of 79.5gr of RL-33.

Are you skeptical/worried about this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When neck sizing only you have a larger case capacity allowing you to have less of a compressed load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put your loads in a cartridge box in your car/truck and drive around for a week or 2 and see if your cartridges 'grow'. I've had this happen w/ compressed loads and try to avoid them.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interest fellas.

I finally shot my RL-33 (79.5 Max) load and got an average of 3,114fps with the 168gr Accubond Lr.

With 70gr of RL-25 I got average of 3,050fps.

I am going to shoot next week for accuracy and go from there as I was only able to Chrono.

Have any of you ever tried to settle the powder of a compressed load down?? What was your technique?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, M700, Lilja barrel, Jewell trigger, pretty much the same loading equipment and approach. I've not tried RL33, but it sounds interesting.

I have tried several powders and bullets over 20 years, mostly IMR4831 types and similar, and bullets in the 150-160 range, including TSX's, A-Max, and several others. A few loads are somewhat compressed. On these I use a drop tube, then settle them down some more by holding the filled case against a vibrating tumbler for a few seconds.

I am neck sizing only, and using Redding Comp Necksizing and seating dies, like you. MV's of 3050 to 3100 seem to come easily and naturally to my rifle, and most powder /bullet combinations shoot so well that I really am not inspired to test for actual best loads, not when OK is about 3/4 groups. This is my go-to alpine rifle, for sheep and goats. I shoot it to 500 yards. Of course, I shot my Marco Polo Argali in Kyrgystan in the Tien Shan Mtns at 130 yards. Could have used a Winchester M94.

Fortunately we live in a free country and if a loader/shooter wants to squeeze out the last 50 fps, more power to him. If he has the statistical skills to properly evaluate various loads to determine which shoots the best under various conditions, and he can accomplish this before wearing out his barrel and his bank account, god bless him.

I'm 70 years old, been there and done all that and had a good time doing it. Let the next generation carry on.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brice I wish you another 70 years and I admire you very much.

The RL-33 was pretty much 50fps faster on average than RL-25 which was in turn 50fps faster than MagPro....all with max loadings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the case tumbler to vibrate the powder into the case.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I use an old electric sander to vibrate the cases and settle the powder. It's a vibrating sander (not a belt sander) with a rubber pad. Just hold the case against the rubber pad for a few seconds to settle the powder. Make sure you keep your finger over the mouth of the case to stop powder from flying out of the case while being vibrated.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
Brice I wish you another 70 years and I admire you very much.

The RL-33 was pretty much 50fps faster on average than RL-25 which was in turn 50fps faster than MagPro....all with max loadings.

I like velocity but not sure adding 9.5 gr to gain 50fps is worth it comparing it against your load of 70gr/R-25 which is max load.

If both loads had equal accuracy but I's sure want to shoot them longer than 100yds before I decided.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea Tom thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your primarily a hunter I would not go beyond about 103% density in a case..You can tap that down and have room for a bullet to stay put..slight compaction makes for good accuracy IMO, but too much will usually push bullets out in a day or two and you end up with bullets stuck in the chamber and powder everywhere..not good when on a hunting trip..but if you a fun loving target shooter, experimenter or velocity demon, trying to get that last drop of goody out of the case, then carry on but wear eye protection and carry a first aid kit.. tu2 shocker

I also would be concerned if it took 9.5 grs of powder to gain 50 FPS, that makes no since to me under any circumstances.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray,

Thanks my friend for good advice!

Actually though, the extra 9.5 grains isn't to get 50FPS extra....it is a totally different powder (RL-33) and that's the max charge....it's not over.

71gr of RL-25 was giving me 3,088fps with 168gr Accubond Lr which is great but I shot it last week and accuracy was terrible.

79.5gr of RL-33 gave me 3,114fps with Accubond Lr and I put 3 shots into one hole. This is the 106.2% compression charge I was talking about but I used a 4" drop tube and it seemed OK. I even put the rounds in my freezer for an hour, then in the sun before bringing it back to room temp at which time I measured all the rounds and the COAL didn't change.

Seriously, this is why I was reluctant to start Handloading....I knew that I would become obsessive with it and that is exactly what has happened!

With this added info, what is your opinion on my thoughts with this load?? Again it's a 7mm Remington Magnum 26" Benchmark Barrel with 168gr Accubond Lr's.

Thanks Man!

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well FWIW, I load lots of different stuff for my 7mags, and have for years. For 168's I found I could get accuracy and slightly over 3000fps with a slightly compressed load of 72.5 Retumbo. I do not believe cramming more powder into the case for 100 fps is worth it, and I believe the 3100fps seems a little hot, but admittedly I've not used RL33. I'd suggest you run the ballistics on the difference between 3000 and 3100 and see for yourself if it's worth all the trouble. All that being said, I actually prefer slightly compressed loads. How far off the lands are you?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JG I am 50/1000 off the lands. Any longer wouldn't fit my magazine