New
Find
Notify
Tools

I forgot a couple of things!!!
 Login/Join

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello: Since I am going to have a 338-06Ackley Improved built for me I suppose I might as well know what it is. I was just sitting around and realized I had forgotten some important facts. First, I do understand the Ackley Improved part of the proceedure. However, after the case has been fireformed what size is the bullet diameter? And how many grains of say IMR4831 will the case hold? Or any powder for comparison to a 30/06 for that matter. What size primers do I use in this rifle. Magnum Large rifle I suppose. And I suppose the bullet diameter is ,338 then what is the 06 stand for? The mother case being the 30/06? Boy, I sure got myself confused. Is the neck long enough to seat the bullet without taking up powder room from the case? If any of you gentlemen can answer my questions I sure will be appreciative. Thanks Jim

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I answered this question earlier today in your first post...or most of it anyway...

The 338 bullets in the heavy weights and with monolithics will invade the powder space and the 338-06 should be limited to 210 and 225 gr. bullets IMHO...an factor not necessary in a 338 Win.Mag.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim,
If you know so little about the cartridge, why are you having a rifle built in that chambering?

Going with a wildcat usually connotes a determination that factory rounds will NOT provide the performance you are looking for.

If you're unfamiliar with the wildcat process, you're better off with a standard factory chambering.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Jim,
If you know so little about the cartridge, why are you having a rifle built in that chambering?

If you're unfamiliar with the wildcat process, you're better off with a standard factory chambering.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

A custom rifle in a chambering that you know zero about? And in a cartridge that takes some work to form?

Why?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The 06 in 338-06 comes from the designation of the parent cartridge, the 30/06. 30/06 means 30 caliber, adopted by the US military in 1906. Also, for a cartridge base on the 30/06 case, I don't feel you need the magnum primer, even for a bullet in the 225 grain weight. The case just doesn't hold that much powder.

I tend to agree with the other posters who are trying to talk you out of a wildcat cartridge. I too have had 2 wildcats and they're a lot of work. But in my case, I did it because the guns themselves were very unique pieces that just happened to be chambered for a wildcat caliber. Much better to stick with the 338 Win mag. Brass is ready to use out of the box and it's a great caliber. One of my favorites for elk.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also was curious as to why Jim would want a wildcat cartridge when it seamed that he did not know what it was. Then I checked out some of his post and discovered that he knows what they are and also owns some of them. The Ackley variant that is.
He may be confused as how to post a reply as he just starts a new topic when he replies to someone. If you do not know where he is coming from it can be quite confusing.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote