Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
Looking for feedback on Larry Willis' Digital Headspace Guage

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought one a few months ago and it works. However it provides a data point to let you know how far off your full length die is pushing the shoulder back. If it exceeds that recommended .001 to .002 inch spacing then you need to combine the guage with shellholders like the Redding Competition shell holders. These shellholders essentially have deeper seats and thus you don't push the case as deep into the resizer. You just have to pick the right one starting with the deepest working up until you get the proper headspacing using the guage zero'd against a fireformed round.

Living in Arizona I've not done a lot of shooting for the past month or so, so I haven't cycled a lot of rounds this way yet. But in theory you should be working the brass less and extending case life. Improved accuracy? Hmm, maybe.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the Hornady and RCBS case measuring tools so I have no need for Larry's excellant and simple design gage but it obviously would work fine.

I find the head-to-shoulder length of my fired cases and simply FL size to match that length. A fired case has shrunk back a thou or two from the chamber so duplicating it is fine, no need at all go set the shoulder any furhter back.

It's not at all difficult to adjust my sizers to move the shoulders where I want them to be without any special shell holders.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote