New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 Pet Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy just purchased a new Browning in 25-06. Interested in pet loads for his new rifle bullet/powder recommendations. They should be accurate because he is a very marginal marksman

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And for 117/120 gr. bullets. Same reason as above

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
52.0 H4831SC, 117 gr Sierra Game King, Fed 210M using WW brass -- S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
53 Grns of IMR 7828 under a 115 grn NBT gives me the best accuracy. MV for that load is 3040fps out of a 26" tube.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

5-shots at 200-yards
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Optics: Leupold 3.5x10AO
Case: Remington
Primer: Winchester WLR
Powder: 52.5 grains of H-4831
Bullet: Sierra 120 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail
Velocity: 2922 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

5-shots at 200-yards.
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Optics: Leupold 3.5x10AO
Case: Remington
Primer: Winchester WLR
Powder: 53.3 grains of H-4831
Bullet: Nosler 120 grain Spitzer Point Boat Tail
Velocity: 3076 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Well, isn't this good timing! I just ordered a Tikka T3 Lite in 25-06. Can't wait to get my hands on that one...

How about some good ideas for varmint loads? This rifle has a 22" bbl, so I'm thinking that powders a little on the faster side might be better. I'm looking at using either the 75 gr Vmax from Hornady or the 87 gr Speer TNT (it has the better ballistic coeff). Anyone have good loads for these? How does the 85 gr Nosler fare? I've never used Noslers besides partitions, so I don't have any experience with their varmint bullets. thanks!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
The_Captain,

I have found in several 25-06s the 75gr. V-max to be superior to the TNT. The 75 has shown excellent to top accuracy in every 25-06 I have shot it in. Pet load: 55.5 gr. IMR 4350, WW cases, CCI LR BR primers. Am away from notes at the moment so can't give you fps.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I don't have the details, at hand, but my Tikka Whitetail
Hunter shoots 85 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips into .3 MOA
groups, with RL-15 loads, right out of the Nosler Load
data book. If memory serves me, I was about .5 gr.
under published max, and right at expected velocity,
measured 10' off muzzle. I am meaning to try 75 gr. Vmax
bullets. I was exclusively shooting Nosler Ballistic tips, in
all of my .22 cal, and .25 cal, varmint/predator rifles. After
reading glowing accounts of VMax bullets, I bought a
box of of 50 gr VMax bullets, and tried them in my
favorite H-380 load, for my .22-250 Rem.(Savage 16).
My first group was .3 MOA, which was .1" better than
my best NBT group. I ordered more .22 cal VMax
bullets, in 50, and 40, gr. Now I guess I should get
some 75 gr. .25 cal VMax bullets! All of this reading,
is getting expensive Smiler

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
riciardelli, hasn't anyone told you those Rugers don't shoot? I guess you'll just have to keep trying.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't loaded for a .25-06 for several years, but I see a recurring theme here. I shot the 117 Sierra with 53 gr H4831 at about 3050 fps.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post

For this load, I am using IMR 4831, Fed. Match Primers, Nosler !00 gr. Bal. Tips and Winchester or Remington cases.

For this load, I am using Hornady 75 gr. V-Max and IMR 3031 powder. I use the same cases and primers as above.

I cannot remember the powder charge weights nor the OAL, but those will be for you to find for your rifle anyway.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:
riciardelli, hasn't anyone told you those Rugers don't shoot? I guess you'll just have to keep trying.

I know...I'll just to keep trying...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
49.0 grains of IMR 4350 and the 117 Sierra using CCI-200 primers......can't get much simpler!!!! Kills deer like lightning!!!! If your gun won't shoot it well.......first 25-06 I've ever known that wouldn't!!!!! Not fast2950ish or so but does the deal on deer!!!
Wanta smoke a varmint? 57.0 grains f ReLoader 19 and the 85 grain Nosler BT and the CCI-250 primer!!!! Somewhere near the vicinity of 3600fps from a 26" barrel!!! Launches the beasts!!!! With regularity!!!! If I could only own one rifle that I had to shoot EVERYTHING I hunt with, it would be a 25-06!!!! GHD.....pastor at the church of GHD, 25-06!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
51.6 grains of IMR 4350 and the Sierra 100 grain bullet....cover 3 shot 100 yard group with the base of the cartridge. Fast, flat and the original can of hoop-a$$ on Deer and Elk with a lung shot