New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks to my fellow forum members
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ol'Dad was asked to load 223 ammo for 2 of my sons and a nephew for their new ARs. I was helped by fellow forum members that gave and sold me brass[2300rds], 77grain bullets[2350rds]I had plenty of surplus powder bought several years ago at a gun show, and I had several thousand extra Winchester primers.
It is quite a chore depriming them with a Rockchucker press, and cutting the crimps out of the military brass, about 1000 rounds.
I've just started them in my new Thumblers Tumbler. I will ship all of this to my buddy that has a license to reload ammo. I ain't going to finish them with a single stage press.
Are they saving money? Don't really know. With all of the shipping, 46 plastic containers to put the ammo in I believe we will have 52cents ea. total in the ammo. All of the bullets were premium bullets and not bulk bullets.
Guys, thank you very much for the help.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerBoy! Am I glad my kids don't own ARs. shockerroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoulda got them single shot rifles!

Posts: 16145 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Ol'dad needs to have a family class in reloading. That way you can share the chores and may be some time together.
Just my thoughts.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, they have those also. They are scattered around the country and it easier for me to get it done at one time. They do pay their share. When they are in town they load their hunting ammo here. The boys come in often enough to do this.
I am very lucky to have sons that enjoy this.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Oh, they have those also. They are scattered around the country and it easier for me to get it done at one time. They do pay their share. When they are in town they load their hunting ammo here. The boys come in often enough to do this.
I am very lucky to have sons that enjoy this.

Frowner 10-4 and a little envy saluteroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Dad needs a Dillon 550 for Father's Day!

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! I have been needing the exact same things and cannot find them anywhere. I was overseas when everyone panicked and components disappeared.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am just a little green with envy as well.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also sounds like Dad needs an introduction to a primer pocket swaging tool for removing primer crimps

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend can take care of the crimp when loading. It is easier for me cut the crimp that to swage it on a press. When he gets them, his machine rolls the brass including the rim, cuts to length, deburrs the neck, sizes and so on.