New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 WSM?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
New year means ideas for new wildcats no? I've been contemplating a relatively hot rimmed 6.5 for use in single shots, and got to thinking about using the .348 case. The advantage of a 6.5 WSM parent is semi std dies, and if I use an encore, I can get two extractors, one for the rimmed case, and one for the rimless case. My goal is 120 gr @ 3300 fps from a 29" barrel, does this sound reasonable?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Paul,

If you motor over to Jim Busha's Heavy Express web site, you can find data there for his .260 Short Mag, which is built on the .348 Win case shortened, improved and rim turned off.

He shows 120 gr 3,290 fps
129 gr 3,200 fps
140 gr 3,000 fps
with a 24" barrel.

Winchester knocked off his .300 HE Short Mag and named it the .300 WSM.

I am working with the .450 Short Mag now...jim dodd

http://www.heavyexpress.com

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Paul, as I understand it the 6.5 Jamieson is basically the same as the 6.5 WSM. A gunsmith in Dawson Creek has been pumping out a number of these little beauties for sheep hunters. You should be able to get 3300 fps from 120 gr. bullet out of a 26" barrel.

My next project will be a big bore, but next in line is a 6.5 WSM built on an '06 length action, so I can seat those long bullets out where they should be. I love the 6.5!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Are you talking about Rod from Corelane Sporting Goods? If so, I had him build me a rifle a few years back. Did a good job too!

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For you guys who like the 6.5mm, how about a
.257 Roberts AI necked up to .260? I know there is already the 6.5x57mm based on the 7x57case, but the factory data I have seen does not show any improvement over the standard 6.5x55mm. But as the 257Roberts AI
is thought to be a very effecient cartridge, seems to me if it were necked up to .260, you would get real gains over the standard 6.5x55mm. Course you could always buy a standard.270 I guess :-)

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Or shoot the excellent 6.5-284 and utilize it's superb brass and dies(grin).

I think the 6.5 WSM,would be of serious merit,in a sound singleshot rifle. The throating latitude and Paul's mention of a 29" tube,would make a very solid cartridge in my opinion............

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My main reason for wanting to base it on the 6.5 WSM is two-fold. One, the hope that it'll become a factory round, and hence affordable brass. Two, my desire for a rimmed round for a single shot, and since the .348 case is reportedly the basis of the WSM rounds, I can neck the 348 down, blow it out, and have a nice rimmed case to use.

There are certainly other cases that could be used, but I don't want to spring for spendy dies or custom reamers. It also seems to have just the case capacity I'm after.

I think a 120 gr 6.5mm X bullet would be an outstanding combo. Maybe one of these day's I'll have that combo, and wander down to "paradise" to go after a wily blacktail

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul: I've got 36 years of experience with .264 Magnums, and 30 of those years I've also owned a chronograph. Despite the hype, the WSM case cannot, by definition, equal the velocities of the regular 2.5" magnum cases at the same pressures -- it simply doesn't have the capacity.

It's difficult to get more than 3300 fps with a 120 gr bullet out of a .264 with a 24" barrel. That said, I think with a 26 inch barrel you might just squeeze out 3300 with the right powder and a "fast" barrel using a WSM case.

I can understand the desire for a short case in a bolt gun (in order to use a shorter action), but why would you bother with a short case in a break-open? Why not just use the belted case (which is a sort of double-rimmed case anyway) and go all the way up to the a full-length H & H cartridge if you wish?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
In a brek open, a belted case is really no different then a rimless, as the extractor grips the rim, not the belt.

My primary desire for a rim in the encore is that with gloves on, a rimmed case is much easier to handle then a rimmless, been there, done that, and all my contender and encore barrels will be for rimmed cases.

As I mentioned, the barrel will be 29" long, so there should be no problem achieving the velocities. I also want something that can use factory reloading dies, and with an extractor swap, factory rimless rounds.

As I'm sure this configuration appears, a bit excentric, but my idea of fun

<Big Stick>
posted
Paul,

You are on to the obvious. I really expect the 6.5 WSM or a very similar round,to be endorsed by the Long Range fraternity and likely Facory adopted. This one is going to catch on like Wildfire.

It simply has the mechanics to excell. The case design is sound,it is of sufficient capacity and is of a known "accurate" design. She's a 6.5-284 on steroids.

Tossing yourself a cookie,with the 29" tube,is the frosting on a delicous cake.

"Paradise" awaits both you and your new rifle.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 6.5 WSM may catch on , it would be interesting , but there's no way it will really do anything the .264 won't do ......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5-284 has been loaded to 3300+fps in my rifle with a 26in barrel. I have also gotten the 142grn Sierra MKs up to 3000fps. So I wouldn't exactly call the 6.5WSM a 6.5-284 on steroids. You can basically put it in the same category as the 284 and the 6.5-06Imp. All three are all within a small difference in velocity with any given bullet.
Personally if I had to do all over again I would probably still use the 6.5-284 due to the supply of 270 and 7mm WSM brass not being available as of yet. As I said tho, any one of these three will give you everything you ever wanted for a 6.5mm without severe overbore.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Beg to differ. The capacity increase,is more than most would credit it.

I love the 284,as a Wildcat vehicle. I view the shortened Ultra cases,as more of a good thing(on steroids)...........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a poster on this site called Bob338 aka at HA Bob T, who has donea lot with the 338 Winchester and 338 WSM.

His velocities in the 338 Ultra are just short of the 338 Winchester and in line with the slightly smaller powder capacity.

If the brass is any good I would certainly expect 3300 with 120s.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got hammered at two other boards for suggesting such a cartridge. I have most of the supplies ordered and am going with a 26" Lilja No.3. Whatever it gets for velocity, it gets. If it doesn't hit 3300, fine, if it doesn't hit 3200, that's O.K. also. I don't have any experience with a .264 caliber, but those that use or have used them really like them and stick with them. I personally don't feel that the 6.5 WSM as a factory load is anywhere in the near future of 3 years or less. Jamison already slipped in an article and said his test brass was stamped as .338 WSM. Brass should be everywhere to neck down from whatever...270, 7, or 300.

Against popular debate I am having it built on a short action for lefty reasons. My magazine box will be lengthend to 3.00". I've done the math, and a 140 Partition will just be slightly below the neck.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<riflemannz>
posted
The 6.5 on the 257 AI case has been done! I think I got the reamer from Clymer. Not too crash hot really. rechambered in 6.5/284 - still not what I wanted and recut in 6.5/06 AI - ah happiness. 108 lapua scenars at 3700 fps and 600yd dead goats.

<PrimeTime>
posted
I called Hornady the other day and was shooting the breeze with one of their tech consultants and he told me that Winchester is definitely going to release the 6.5WSM. Take it for what it's worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PrimeTime,

did he give any specifics on when they're going to come out with it?

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the ballistics on the heavy express line of cartridges: http://www.heavyexpress.com/shballistics.htm

These are ballistic twins of the WSM line. Pay particular attention to the 260 HEM and the velocities it attained with the 120 gr bullets. 3290 fps in a 24" Bbl. Comes pretty close to the 3300 fps requested doesn't it?

Despite how much experience a person has with a magnum counterpart of the WSM, I think it always surprises people to see just how close the short cartridges actually come to longer version. Must have something to do with the point of deminishing returns. That is the point where you have to add a whole bunch more powder to get an appriciable gain.

Turok

------------------
--------------------------------------------------

Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
It takes roughly a 4% increase in powder capacity to achieve a 1% gain in velocity. You'll need a lot of barrel to get to 3300 fps. Hope you don't burn it out before you find the load it likes.