Find
Notify
Tools

H4831sc
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnp034
posted
Is this the same powder as H4831? Can it be mixed? I have a small amount of H4831 & wanted to mix it with the short cut. Any problems?

JohnP

Posts: 939 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
No sweat.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnp034
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir.

JohnP

Posts: 939 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Mixing in the 4831 will reduce one of the advantages of the sc: better metering through having shorter kernels.
Why not load what is left of the original 4831 & then move on to the sc?

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mix them. The results would probably be okay, but due to the differing kernal size you might end up with varying load densities in individual cartridges. How this might impact performance (if in any way at all) is difficult to predict.

The two powders are actually NOT the "same" powders -- they are, however, engineered to yield the virtually identical performance when using the same WEIGHT charges. The performance of the two powders will definately vary from one another when using the same VOLUME charges.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Below is a quote directly from the Hodgdon website.

"H4831SC - Ballistically, this Extreme Extruded powder is the exact copy of H4831. Physically, it has a shorter grain size, therefore, the designation SC or short cut."

Therefore, you should be able to mix them, but as another has said, you'll loose the short cut advantage in metering the powder.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote