New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338-06 Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Am thinking the next rifle will be a .338-06. A few questions about loading for it.

If one starts with 30-06 brass, does the case need to be fire formed to finish blowing out the shoulder and setting proper length of the shoulder?

Wise to uae real bullets for this process, or can a bullseye/cream of wheat load be used? If so, any recommended charges for that purpose?

Rifle will be on an FN action. Worth getting a deluxe die set with the neck sizer as well as an FL die?

Thanks Guys!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Neck up load and fire. There should be no fireforming required. The double die set is your choice. I normally set my die up to bump the shoulder then place a shim under it until I need to bump again.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
If your chamber is cut to the SAAMI specs for the .338/'06 A-Square, the headspace is the same as for the .30/'06 round........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't fireform, but my once fired cases do yield slightly better accuracy & have a grain or so more powder cap. For serious hunting loads, I use once fired.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Agree with Fred, used a Redding 2 dies set, all mine are set up partial size, 1/2 moa easy. I'd save my money, just me. Heard of cream of wheat for wildcats but this is really about done when you neck it up, if std chamber and not AI, and it will be fine. Unsure if using that method is harmful to barrel or not, but I would find out first. I'd get 100 WW cases, load them up, sight in and use 1x fired cases to hunt. Last a long time for you.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you already have cases, it is probably easier to run .35 Whelen cases into your die. If you have a bunch of '06 cases, forget this.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote