New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 9.3x62 Experiment continues
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ku-Dude, I've not yet killed anything yet with my 9,3x62 but my current favorite was hunted extensively in Africa before I traded my buddy out of it (I gave him a nice CZ-550 in 9,3x62 and 3 other rifles to get it!).
He loaded a Moly Coated 250gr X bullet to about 2625 or so. He said that he got 22 kills on all sorts of African Antelope up to and including Sable. I think most or all were 1 shot kills. He's an expert hunter and guide so I'm sure he put em in the right place. I don't see any reason to use much else than this load in it. It shoots 3 shots into less than 1" at 200yds if I do my part. I can't think of anything that I would hunt with this rifle that this wouldn't work well for.
I think that the 250gr X, especially Moly'd would be an excellent bullet for you to try........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dj,

Thanks for the post. I have added your data to my base with appropriate acknowledgement.

Please exlain the two numbers that precede the powder type. In most cases it looks like a range, 62-64; however, in the case RL15 with 250BT it is 62-62. If it is a range, how does the range, 62-64, elate to the pressure data of 50,000psi? The range for most powders only runs about four grains top to bottom. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons that the 9.3x62 is so intriguing to gun cranks is that it really does have untapped potential. I don't believe in loading to excess pressures you're right about just buying a bigger gun, but I don't see that much use in underloading one either - just buy a smaller gun........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else tried 4320 with a 286 partion in the 9.3? I used it on elk and bear.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The loads that Barsness talks about/lists (in djpaintles' post above) were tested on a strain gauge at Charlie Sisk's shop. (http://www.siskguns.com/) This information was also published in a fairly recent issue of Handloader magazine. (I'm at work so I don't have the magazine handy. I'll check when I get home and post the date of the issue.)< !--color-->

The magazine article is:

More Pressure Experiments
Can you "read" pressure?
John Barsness

Handloader Magazine
June - July 2004
Volume 39, Number 3
ISSN: 0017-7393
Number 229

Back issues available here:
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/index.cfm?magid=91

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-Dude,

Due to the excesses of others am terminaly allergic to 'increased performance of mauser cartridges by virtue of increased pressure'

My allergy stems from the unreliability of 'pressure signs' and a strong feeling that the alleged strength of modern actions is overly stressed (pun intended).

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894, To much of a good thing certainly exists, but just because it does won't stop me from trying to have just enough. Our manuals often list 3 different sets of loads for the venerable 45/70 depending upon the strength of the action used. It would be nice to have the same for the 9,3x62.
I'm a pretty cautious reloader and part of this caution is the research going on here. There's a place to quit but I think it's a little past 50,000psi......DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello fellow hunters,

I would like to make a few observations regarding the following two posts that I saw on Accuratereloading: -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad
one of us

Reged: 06/27/00
Loc: Bozeman, Montana U.S.A. Re: .358 or 30-06 for 200 yd. elk?
#164964 - 11/29/03 08:00 PM Edit Reply Quote

Wstrn, he's talking about the 358 Win which is quite a different cartridge than the Whelen. I'd sooner have the 200 Partition in the 06' @ 2,650 than anything in the 358 Win. However, a 250 grainer in the Whelen at 2,600 is nothing to sneer at! I still favor a 250 grainer in a 338 WM @ 2,750

Post Extras:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atkinson
one of us

Reged: 06/04/00
Loc: Twin Falls, Idaho Re: .358 or 30-06 for 200 yd. elk?
#164965 - 12/06/03 07:27 AM Edit Reply Quote

Comparing the 358 to the 9.3x62 is ludicrus..there is no comparison...

My 9.3x62 will push a 320 gr. Woodleigh bullet at 2450 FPS, a 286 gr. bullet at 2520 FPS and a 300 gr. Swift bullet at 2500 FPS, and a 250 Barnes X at 2700 plus FPS, with handloads and that are near but not quite max.

The 9.3 is .366 as compared to 358....The 9.3 x 62 is basically a 375 H&H, not a 358 Win. and the 9.3x62 performs on Buffalo accordingly, just like a 375 H&H..

Firstly, it is very clear from Brad's post that his cartridge of choice is the one with the highest velocity. Well I am sure the new .338 RUM will beat the 338 Win Mag in the velocity stakes and so it should actually be the cartridge of choice, if we go with this kind of reasoning. Clearly bullet performance is not a consideration. Nothing is so damaging for a cartridge's reputation than bullet failure. In South Africa, Eugene Combrink designed a 338 Sabi that yields a velocity of 2,350 fps - why? Because bullet performance is better on large game, which is invariably shot at ranges of less than 150 yards and more commonly at less than 100 yards.

When I look at Ray Atkinson's post I am convinced that the 'speed demon' is at work in America, more so than anywhere else on earth. I could not believe my eyes that a person would want to push a cartridge so far beyond its designed capabilities and to believe that the extra velocity will do him any good. Let us not forget, the 9,3 x 62 mm was designed for Africa - German colonists comming to Africa - the African bush, not the open plains. I now wish to list his 'achievements' and in addition he says that these loads are "near but not quite max."

250 gr Barnes-X bullet @ 2,700 fps (measured handloads)
300 gr Swift A-Frame @ 2,500 fps (measured handloads)
320 gr Wdl SN bullet @ 2,450 fps (measured handloads)
286 gr Wdl SN bullet @ 2,520 fps (measured handloads)

The hottest factory load is by Norma (Sweden) with their 286 gr bullet at 2,360 fps with their own propellant. I have not chronographed Norma's load to see if their claim velocity is in fact attainable. Lapua's (Finland) comparable factory load yields 2,264 fps and I have spoken to them and they are not prepared to push the pressure level up any higher as they want to stay inside CIP specification. The PMP (South Africa) factory load gives exactly the same velocity with Somchem's propellant as Lapua's load. The Swiss manufacturer that makes CDP ammo has been chronographed at 2,230 fps. Let us go to Germany ... the RWS Wiederladen Handbuch 1998 states a maximum load with R903 at 2,297 fps. Here we have 5 different manufacturers around the world that load according to the best information available to them, and none goes over 2,360 fps. It begs the question ... what is a safe maximum load?

Nevertheless, Atkinson loads a 286 gr bullet to 2,520 fps ! The question is at what pressure level ? What could possibly inspire a man to do something like this ? To have a more lethal load ? To subject one's rifle to extreme pressures ? To make a 9.3 x 62 mm into a 375 H&H ? To make the load more safe ? To shoot flatter ? To hit harder at all ranges ? To make the bullet perform better ? Gosh, I am running out of ideas ! My current load in my old Hasqvarna Mauser (1956) is a 286-gr Rhino bullet (Soft & Solid) at 2,205 fps and I will go anywhere to face the cruelest adversary on 4 legs. The confidence I have in this load has been proven over and over. At this velocity you shoot straight through an elephant's head with a solid. Do I need more velocity ...yes, like a fish needs a speed boat.

Finally we go to the USA, the Swift Reloading Manual No.1, 2002, it states a load of 53.0 gr Rel-15 at 2,340 fps using the 300 gr Swift A-Frame bullet. Again Atkinson loads to 2,500 fps. Is that being modest? So, can 6 ammo manufacturers be all that wrong? Go shoot this bullet in a wetpack at 25 yards at a MV of 2,500 fps and then again at 2,200 fps and see for yourself what that extra 300 fps does for you ... bugger all, in fact it is worse. Also try the Woodleigh bullet with a differential of 300 fps ... it will be an eye opener to one and all. I am busy with a 9.3 project for my association and will publish the results sometime next year. I plan to issue a booklet, just like it was done for the 500 Jeffery.

As experienced handloaders, we have a responsibility to each other and novices alike to recommend safe loads. As experienced hunters we have the moral duty to advice those that come after us, what works well in the hunting fields. Bullet performance is one of the key aspects that is mostly ignored as long as the game falls and that is very sad.

Posts: 656 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just FYI for all:

I noticed that Nosler Custom Ammunition is loading their 9.3x62 ammunition to 2430 fps with their 286gr Partition bullet.

http://www.noslerammunition.com/9362286PT.HTML

I think the 9.3x62 can be "juiced up" a bit from the original 286gr ballistics of 2360 fps. (ICI/Kynoch loaded to 2250 fps in the "old days".) I don't have the references handy right now, but I think the pressure standards (CIP) for the 9.3x62 are somewhat less than some comparable (case size) cartridges such as the .270 Winchester. In a modern rifle of recent production, I don't see anything wrong with loading the 9.3x62 to equivalent pressures. Of course, the real trick for most handloaders is determining when that pressure standard is reached since most of us lack sophisticated pressure measuring equipment.

Still, I'm sure Nosler has access to pressure equipment and they obviously seem to think that 2430 fps with a 286gr bullet is a safe load.

Personally, I've just started loading for the 9.3x62 so I don't have much experience with it. From everything that I have read, it seems that Reloder 15 is a good powder choice. I'll be happy if I can develop a handload with a 286 gr bullet that gives around 2350 to 2400 fps muzzle velocity using RL-15. If I need more than that, I'll turn to my .338 Win Mag or my .375 H&H.

Just my thoughts....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the essentials of speeding up the 9.3x62 is to use double base powders such as RL15 etc. All very well until you use the load in a leopard blind or sitting up for boar or indeed any last light sporting shooting. The resultant fireball completely blinds you.

A 286gr with single base medium fast powder such as a 4895 or VVN135 will barely flash at all.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Faster, cheaper, something for nothing; same old shit.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why not simply accept that this is a 30-06 sized case with a heavy bullet and let it be for what it is.

....Because that wouldn't be as interesting or as fun.

Reloading is my hobby, I do it because I've almost always been able to make Ammo that shot better and cheaper than what I could buy, including 9,3x62...........DJ