New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 h&h, 250 gr Sierra gamekings, imr 3031
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a load with this combo that they have any experience with?

Rifle is a whitworth Mauser.

Thank you!

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3031 is to fast - try 4350

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always had such good luck with 4064 in the 375 I would recommend you start with it. Best of luck...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 4064 also but the 375 isn't picky about powder or bullets for that matter..

Ive used that bullet on elk, and its deadly, a lot of bullets these days used on elk are too hard IMO.
The 250 Sierra and even the 300 BTSPs are excellent on elk and seem to get faster kills..

Sierras used to have a bad rap of being too soft and I believe they were, but at some point they changed that a bit and they seem to work well these days.

Contrary to todays accepted premium bullet, as expected many went over the top, bullets got hard and the toodstool was in demand...After using both Im thinking they need to let bullets expand a bit more and that cup and core are better for deer and antelope, and I still like the WW power point adn corelokt for cow elk, the premium bullets for Moose and up I suppose..Just been leaning that way the last couple of years, for what its worth and thats a cup of coffee if you have a dollar to go with it....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually 3031 works fine in the 375; I use a lot of it because it kicks less. And I have it. Don't forget that powder contributes to recoil.
Ray is right; 375s are very forgiving on powder.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One evening just about time to quit hunting.
A 5pt bull elk walked up the hill facing Dad and I. He was in a better position than I was so took the shot.

.375H&H 270gr C/L, about 40-50yards. Hit between the shoulder and brisket. Blew quite a bit of the far ham out. Bull was knocked backwards on his ass then out of sight. Ended up 30 feet from where he was standing. Impressive to see it happen.

That and our practice on prairie dogs a couple weeks before season is my only experience with that gun. Still have it, Dad can't use it where he's buried.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote