Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Priming Tool...Hornady or RCBS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which do you folks prefer ie. ease of use, durability etc

Does the Hornady use the RCBS shellholders and vice versa?

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither. Lee by a long shot ( pun intended).

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like the Hornady far better than the RCBS, easier to change SH & better lever system. The Lee is ok, I have two, but you have to buy extra SH & it won't take a .404/WSM case w/o modification (unless they have changed since I bought mine years ago). That's how I got onto the Hornady, needed a hand primer for my .404Jeff & 7mm Dakota. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hornhunter
posted Hide Post
I'm with Geronimo, the Lee works very well.

HH

Posts: 46 | Location: Lake Jackson, Texas | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the RCBS shellholders work with the Lee?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only used the rcbs and no drama's here it's fine, I can't comment on the others though.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geronomo:

Neither. Lee by a long shot ( pun intended).

I agree totally with this.

The Lee priming tool uses its own shellholders; the shellholders used in loading presses will not work with the priming tool. But the shellholders for the priming tool are quite inexpensive -- about $3 each. If you want, you can get a whole set of them for about $15.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I use the Hornady. It does use the 'standard' RCBS shellholders, and works on my 300WSM (and everything else I have tried it on) just fine. We are going on 7 years together with nary a hiccup!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The Lee Auto Prime is Hard to Beat.

You can get the complete set of shell holders for it for just a few bucks.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the Lee Auto Prime, too!! I have 2 of em, one for small primers and one for large primers, don't have to swap the parts to switch from one to the other that way. You can get the primer and shell holders from Cabelas for less then $30 shipped.

Lee Auto Prime

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee is OK but doesn't use standard shellholders, feel as good in the hand as the RCBS and will wear out. My first Lee wore the pivot pin to the point were it wouldn't completely seat primers. Like most Lee stuff it's a clever design that should be made better. Addmittedly I probably load more in a year than most would in 10 but still I don't like reloading equipment that wears out.
The RCBS standard version is OK, but be carefull which shellholders you use. Even some of the older RCBS shellholders won't fit properly around the priming column.
My personal favorite is the RCBS APS strip loader. It takes a little time to load the strips, but once the strips are loaded it's the fastest to use. It has a universal shellholder which is great, you can go from 404 Jeffery to 300 Win Mag etc. instantaneously. I have 2, one each for large and small primers. You just grab a strip and start loading with no primer handling whether you are loading 6 or 600 rounds. It's also the most comfortable in my hand.
I've not tried the Hornady...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lee hand primer that I've been using for the last 25 years or so is still going strong. I tried the RCBS version and didn't care for it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't used any of the others, but I enjoy using my RCBS hand priming tool. Hasn't given me any problem yet.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
dj,

Lee Strongly recommends that you put alittle grease on that pivot ever so often. I've primeed thousands through the one I'm using now and she still works like a charm.

I did have to ream out the opening w/ my Dremel to fit those fat WSM case in it but, it works like a charm w/ them now as well.

Have a Good One!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS & it works very well. I have not tried the Hornady or the Lee so I don't really have an opinion about them.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
The Lee is OK but doesn't use standard shellholders, feel as good in the hand as the RCBS and will wear out.

True, the Lee will wear out (but will last for 10's of thousands of primings with just a dab of vasoline on the pivot points). The great thing about the Lee is that you can just go buy a new one if yours is worn, lost, or permanently "borrowed" and you're still money ahead of the other brands. As was pointed out, just a little judicious grinding on the regular .530" shellholder will make it work beautifully with the rebated WSM/Ultra series, and it will still work with the regular belted magnums.

Like others, I keep two Lee hand priming tools, one set up for small primers and one for large.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. If you're in a bind and need a shellholder size you can't get, you CAN simply mill (or here on the farm, grind) the base off of a "standard" shellholder and it becomes, whallah!, a Lee priming tool holder. Since I happened to have two of some odd-sized shellholder, that's exactly what I did. Works like a charm.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I have used 2 Lee tools for years ( to lazy to change between L & S)

I can not even guess how many thousand cases I have primed .

Cheaper and better.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
If you want the very best, get a Sinclair:

http://www.sinclairintl.com

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Lee unit. Buy one and take Momma out for Chinese food with the savings.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS. It uses the same shell holder as the press. Works great for me. Seats the primers just right.

The only problem I've had is letting the handle go when changing shell holders. Takes a bit of effort to put it back together. Smiler So I don't do that.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I have two Lee's that I love dearly.
The better half got me a RCBS Auto Prime for my Birthday (bless her heart).
It is the one that uses the strips.I love it to death.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a K&M. After having both RCBS and Lee tools self-destruct I went to the K&M. As someone here said a while back ..."like comparing a BMW to a Pinto".
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a RCBS priming tool for years and really like it. I find the leverage enough to drive the primer all the way in on the first try. There may be better ones available, but the RCBS meets all my requirements. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only lee tool that I own is the autoprime.It works very well and mine has lasted many years.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the feedback...looks like I'll try a Lee for my Service Rifle rounds and an RCBS for my specialty big bore stuff (these use "odd!?" RCBS shell holders sizes)