THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    powder loading figures for model 99 lever 250-3000/300 sav.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder loading figures for model 99 lever 250-3000/300 sav.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was going thru my big stack of loading books going back too 1960 ..Usually you see type of guns like mausers etc used as their test gun in loading..

I found one with model 99 sav in 250-3000 and 300 sav with start loads/max loads tested in model 99..You usually do not see that too much.

I do not know how to put it on here but i can mail it to someone that could copy/paste etc to here for all of us to see.

I am big fan of model 99 lever guns in 250/300 sav...

send me PM with your address and I will copy and send you info..Thanks...

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to the 250 and 300 in a mod. 99, just back off the listed max load by 2 grs. and call it max..Been shooting them for 65 years..The action is a little springie and it shows up only after reloading the case one or two times, then cases part...One thing to watch for more than anything else with a 99 and pressure, it will tell you to stop..You will feel the lever pop out ever so lightly or not so lightly depending...time to back off a grain or two, probably two...Use this along with all the other high pressures signs of course........

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went thru my old manuals some show 2gr difference on max loads ...speer manual shows like 35 grs of 3013 and nosler shows 33 grs as max load..but none use model 99..

I was lucky to find one that used the model 99 in 250/300 sav rifles in tests ..

i agree I remember wayback when I was young and started in 60s you would only get 2 reloads before head split..

I think everyone loaded shells then it was cheap and we had lots of deer here in pa.

Now its expensive and I am about only one locally loading and deer are all gone do to the doe killing off...Very sad wish kids could see what we had then..

box of remington 250-3000 in 87 gr for $2.95 cents ..250 sav cost 100 dollars in grocery stores or restaurants all 3 of mine were under 100 bucks each in great condition...

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray you are right i got too 32.5 grs of 3031 with speer 87 gr bullet and noticed primer starting to flatten some ..Putting bullets almost in same holes at 65 yards with my eyes at 63 years old not bad ..Soooooooooo I am stopping at 32.5 grs ....3031 been using it in my savages from 60s when dad started me loading and still using powder from that time too and it works ...

I think my 100gr speer with 3031 was 32 grs ....My twist is 1-14 and both bullets will shoot in same holes with 3031 powder ..

Removing some of trigger sear metal did help a lot no more creep on my 99f trigger its gone..Thanks Ray for that tip..