Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4064 vs AA4064
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted
I would like to load a 375 H&H. It calls for AA4064. I have IMR 4064. How close is the burn rate and are they interchangeable.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just work up a hair, but I have never seen any real differences in the 2 to be concerned about..

just don't start at max, and you should be fine...why not waste a bullet or two just to be on the safe side..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have loaded both in my 7MM-08 with the same load. very accurate with both. like seafire said, work up. I also loaded both in the 30-06 with 150s same load.

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Most if not all reloading manuals have a burn rate chart; have you checked it?

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin Rohrer
one of us

Posted 17 January 2012 14:38 Hide Post
Most if not all reloading manuals have a burn rate chart;

none of my reloading manuals have one

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a few years back, when I converted from IMR to AA powders, I called Accurate Arms and asked about the comparability of the two powders... I was told that AA powders were one grain slower than the IMR equivalent, and that if I was using IMR 4831, AA 3100 was the same powder, but nitrocotton based as opposed to nitrocelluloas based. I subsequently found that 60 grains of AA 3100 shot to exactly the same point of aim as IMR 4831. I have shot AA 3100 in my .270 ever since.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i know that you can't load from a burn rate chart from grain to grain. but, it can be used as a reference point. on all my burn charts XMR 4064 is usually a tad slower than the IMR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burn rate is a special test. They don't make up the chart by burning the powder in cartridges. There are some very important things that change the burn rate of powder and that is the size and shape of the cartridge, the caliber and bore size, the weight of the bullet, temperature, and other things. The chart is only to give the powders a reference on the charts compared to others that were burned in a special test.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The couple times I compared I found AA4064 to be just a touch slower. Maybe a grain or two.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Hornady has IMR4064 in their 8th Edition.

I loaded up some 300 grain bullets two nights ago using the minimum load for barrel break-in on a new rifle.

For a 300 gr bullet, they list 52.3 gr min and 68.7 gr as max.

For a 270 gr bullet, they list 61.2 gr min and 73.4 gr as max.

For a 220-225 gr bullet, they list 64.4 gr min and 72.8 gr as max.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently using AA 4064 in a couple of cartridges. Although I have not had occasion to compare it directly to IMR 4064, the loads I am using are just a tad heavier than most sources would indicate for the IMR version.

I like the "short cut" nature of the AA 4064 grains. It meters much better than the IMR 4064 I used many years ago (although the current version of IMR 4064 may have a different kernal -- I'm not certain.)

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesFrom what data I have and from the manuals it seems "SAFE" to say that you can load A-XMR 4064 with 3 to 4% more powder than you can with IMR 4064. From all indications this seems conservative. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote