THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Looking for a FINE .0005 caliper at a great price?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a FINE .0005 caliper at a great price?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got tired of assuming that the price on Midway was a good one and went off web searching for a better price than 160.00 for a precision
Starrett 797 .0005 electronic caliper in stainless steel. Glad I did and I will do more of this in the future....

ONLY 93.00 - alot but you get what you pay for......and I didn't pay 160.00....lol

http://www.msdiscount.com/columnar.aspx?category_site=S...=8965&prod_id=120266

this caliper is top notch and is much better accuracy than the +/- .001 accuracy I had in my previous Lyman.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... I've got an electronic direct readout 6" model from Harbor Freight and Tool that I bought for $16.95. It reads to .0005" (and instantly converts to metric, if desired.) Readings check out against a good old micrometer in my tool chest.

Having a tendancy to lose or break things, I bought a second caliper just like it that is put away in reserve. Looks like I've got about four more of them to go before I've sunk as much money into them as the "bargain" caliper from Midway.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rje:
I got tired of assuming that the price on Midway was a good one and went off web searching for a better price than 160.00 for a precision
Starrett 797 .0005 electronic caliper in stainless steel. Glad I did and I will do more of this in the future....

ONLY 93.00 - alot but you get what you pay for......and I didn't pay 160.00....lol

this caliper is top notch and is much better accuracy than the +/- .001 accuracy I had in my previous Lyman.

Looking like a good price. thumb

I know a number of people that have had good luck with Harper Freight stuff and some that didn’t. It just depended on what the product was. $ 16.95 for a "precision caliper" seems a little too good to be true.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Calipers are fast referance tools...if you are trying to measure in tenthousanths and I must wonder why....but that isn't of any mater buy a GOOD micrometer.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Another good place for pricing tools is Enco. I`ve bought a few things from them and been happy with them.

BTW that 0.0005" accuracy is the calipers "resolution, the accuracy is still only 0.001" A measuring tool has to read smaller then it can measure to give a good reading. To get a 0.0005" accuracy the caliper would need to resolve to the 5th decimal. You still need a mircometer to get good 4 digit accuracy.
The Starret is still a very fine caliper and should serve you well and be more then accurate enough. I`ve a micrometer of the same brand and have been happy with it for a long time now.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Used calipers 5 days a week for decades good tool, but they have there limits. If your working on tolerances of less than + or - .001 a good micrometer with a ten thousands of an inch (.xxxx) vernier scale checked with a accurate standard would be a much better tool of choice than calipers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up another set from MSC. SPI digital claipers. If I remember right they were something like $70 or $80.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone need one that accurate for reloading.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rje:

Trouble is use technique limits the accuracy of calipers to about ±.001 for a very skilled user.
For a non-professional week end user you might be lucky to get ±.002. For closer tolerances a micrometer is required and even some mikes are poor quality.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote