THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Ultrasonic Cleaner from Harbor Freight - $79 - tried it yet?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultrasonic Cleaner from Harbor Freight - $79 - tried it yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Has anyone tried the $79 ultrasonic cleaner yet from Harbor Freight?

I thought about trying it for cleaning brass like others on here have done.

It has a built in 140 degree warmer and timer mode. I wonder if it is safe to use with acetone or other solvents?

Here are a few pics I snapped on my phone:

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you if it will work before you buy it. But if you do buy one the way to test it's efficiency is to suspend a piece of aluminum foil mid bath crossways. Let the machine run for 5 minutes. Look at foil. There should be loads of pin holes in the foil. If not the machine dosen't have enough power to knock debris off much of anything. At that point it is just a great noise maker.
Good luck! Please let me know if it does work. This is a great price. I got one for work 20 + years ago and it cost $450.00 back then!

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a rain check for the exact same one. Please let us know how it works.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found most of that Harbor Freight stuff to be of pretty low quality.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Continent:

Well, duh.

That's why it's cheap. That doesn't mean that it may not be worthwhile in a situation where you need a tool infrequently or for casual work. I find a lot of stuff there well worth the money -- it's hardly professional quality but it serves certain purposes quite well. Not every gun can or need be a Purdy; some of them work just fine as Mossbergs.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really? yuck

I always joke and tell my wife that Harbor Freight is a man's "dollar store of tools".

Unequivocally, I opt for higher quality power tools and also anything "precision". That's the reason I posted about the U/S cleaner above because I usually don't buy anything from H.F. that "plugs in". However, you can't beat their prices on tarps, bungie cords, zip ties, electrician's tape, grinding wheels, saw blades, and general B.S. like that. Especially when you download the 20% off coupons.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I dont mind buying "cheap" tools with a 3 year extended warranty for another couple bucks. I have bought tons of stuff from them and they have never questioned my returns.

Great customer service .... cheap prices ... I'm in!

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the digital caliper I bought from Harbor Freight work as Smoothly as the Starret version? - NO

Does the digital caliper I bought from Harbor Freight measure accurately within .001? - Yes

Am I glad I paid $20 instead of $200? - Duh.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady showed a nice one at SHOT/SCI for about a hundred and thirty-five bucks. It's also in the 2010 Catalog.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a very neat article on ultra sonic cleaning. If you wait a bit hornady is coming out with one that looks to have more capacity. look on ebay first if you must have one now!http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey DJ, Do they sell Sako rifles there? rotflmo
-----

I needed to Hammer Drill 18 holes in some concrete a couple of years ago. Looked at the options and decided to try the Orange 1/2" Hammer/Drill from HF. Opened the box and it even came with a spare set of Brushes - amazing!

Got the holes drilled as if it was drilling warm butter. Drill survived fine and saved well over $200 on the drill alone. Them China folks made a fine drill for my use.

Got to looking at my really old Black & Decker when the 2nd Charger died and the 3rd Battery as well. It was made in China way back in the early 80s. Never even thought about it until a few months ago.
-----

By the way, they sell those "Neck Straightness Checker" Thingys for those of you interested in that stuff.

The people at the HF I go to are always smiling and happy, so you need to keep an eye on them. Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brennanc9093:
Here's a very neat article on ultra sonic cleaning. If you wait a bit hornady is coming out with one that looks to have more capacity. look on ebay first if you must have one now!http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Great information, thanks.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brennanc9093: http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Thanks for the info. They always do a great job with their articles.