THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    7wsm & 7 mm mag data virtually interchangeable????

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7wsm & 7 mm mag data virtually interchangeable????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are any of you guys activeley reloading the 7wsm. I went to Hodgdon, nosler, and Imr website and the data seems prety mild. Then I cranked up my quickload program and noticed that it's saying the case capacity is within .5 grain between the two cartridges. (Unlike the 300wsm and the 300 win mag where about 9 grains difference exists) Quickload predicts virtually the same results between the two cartridges and says we can go considerably more powder than the websites I checked.
The little experiementing I did do was with 56 grains of H4350 under a 154 hornady in my friends 7wsm. It did a whopping 2675fps out of a 24" barrel which is exactly what quickload said it would do. AND...it was exactly what my hornady manual said a 7mm mag would do with the same load.
Can any of you guys give me some chronographed loads (even factory) loads so I can start cross referencing some info on this cartridge??
By the way for what it's worth that load was extremely accurate in my friends BAR. 154 hornadys and 160 accubonds went to the same point of impact with the hornadys getting a .7" group and the accubonds at 1". This was a BIG improvement over the win pp factory ammo he had which was doing 2" at 100. (we didn't get to chrono that stuff).
After hunting season we'll try and work up....its a little embarassing getting 7mm-08 performance out of my reloads when I'm supposed to be 1.5 grains under max according to the manuals.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that IN MY GUNS using 7mm Rem data in the 7wsm gave me 7mm Rem velocities.

I started low and worked my way up, but your mileage may vary. I never even got close to printed factory velocities, but found that I could at least match their chrono results with careful loading.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep the 7wsm and the 7rmag have just about the same capacity. If I wrote it down right the 7rmag is .5grs larger than the 7wsm. Also the 7rmag is loaded to 61,000 the 7wsm to 63800.

When you compare the 300s the 300wmag shoulder if about .15" forward of what the 7rmag is. Resulting in the gain over the 300wsm that the 7rmag doesn't have over the 7wsm.

In the 7wsm the shoulder is a touch forward of what the 300wsm is so that the 7wsm wouldn't load in the 270wsm.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote