THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Starting load for Hodgdon Super performance in 6.5 mm SAUM

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting load for Hodgdon Super performance in 6.5 mm SAUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
I have a pound of Super Performance I want to try in my 6.5mm SAUM. I understand burning rate is similar to H414 and H4350. Can someone please verify if 57 grains would be a safe powder charge to work up from with a 140gr projectile. Rifle is a Remington 700.

Many thanks,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SuperPerformance is closer to H4831 not H4350/H414. Here is the Hodgdon burn rate chart from their website:

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Bu...%20-%202015-2016.pdf

QuickLOAD version 3.8 doesn't have a SuperPerformance powder listing. It does have H4831 and H4831 SC.

Below is QuickLOAD's pressure estimates for the 6.5mm RSAUM with three common 140 grain 6.5mm bullets, each loaded to a 2.825" OAL with 57.0 grains of H4831 and H4831 SC.

Disclaimer: Data presented is simply calculated estimates, and not actual test data. It is not load recipes. QuickLOAD estimates should never be used as substitutes for pressure data from real tests, and it would be unsafe to do so.

Nosler 6.5mm 140 Ballistic Tip: 60,001 psi
Hornady 6.5mm 140 SST: 61,597 psi
Sierra 6.5mm 140 GameKing: 57,252 psi

Based on QuickLOAD's estimates, 57 grains of a H4831 is too high for a starting load. Extrapolating from that, an equivalent burn rate powder, and that volume of powder would also be too high for a starting load. Simply put...don't do it.

For the price of a couple boxes of bullets, get yourself a copy of QuickLOAD. Also send Hodgdon an email or give them a call to ask them. There is not a large amount of load data for SuperPerformance available out there.

For whatever it is worth, the powder of choice for the 6.5 RSAUM in its various custom chamber and throat specifications is H1000. There is plenty of information on that subject available in other websites on the web.

Posts: 319 | Location: SW Idaho, USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote