Find
Notify
Tools

Please explain 6ppc USA chambering
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
I bought a vitually new Cooper Model 21 in 6PPC in the UK yesterday. Here is a picture of it.

Now how I understand it is that

6PPC USA is the only registered SAMMI chambering. Sako stopped making brass. Norma threaten to restart but nothing has shown up. I am informed that Lapua brass is the best but will be too long for PPC usa chambering.

Can any experience state member advice what is the best starting point ?

Here is a link tot he rifle. BTW I have sold the scope to a friend already.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Gun...Calibre][]=6mm%20PPC

I sense these are the 02 options open to me:

Lapua 220 Russian and fireform

Lapua 6PPC brass and trim

Which is easier and more consistent. Cost is NOT an issue.

Thanks

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 6mmBR forum there is a wealth of info there for 6mm PPC

Gary

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Its done under relaoding section.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you have not seen this link.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6PPC.html

You might alos what to ask over on http://benchrest.com/forums

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ppc uses a small primer, other than that it more or less just a necked down 7.62x39. if you can find it remmington brass uses the small primer, winchester uses large primer. while i have sako brass in 6 ppc i couldn't find any small primed brass for 22 ppc, so i just sized down some winchester with the large primer. seemed to work out just fine

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The USA case was introduced, by Sako, when they brought out their rifles in 6PPC USA and 22PPC USA. The cases had less case capacity than the old 220 Russian cases, which had been the parent case for the original PPC. Shooters, who had been loading the old Russian brass, could not get their favorite loads in the new USA cases. I don't know if the OAL of the brass was different or not. I do know that not very many BR shooters, that I shoot with, had any luck with the USA brass. Lapua solved the problem when they started making the best 220 Russian brass on the planet.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks picking up my rifle today from the dealer and somebody have kindly given me 9 original PPC USA cases to start me off

I think I will fire form from 220 russian

Spoke to Cooper they confirm it is a no turn 270 neck

I plan to shoot 58 grain A-max in original 1 in 14 T barrel

Do you think I need to turn the lapua neck down

My experience from other lapua cases is that it is alway thicker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you get the 9 original cases, measure them for length. After you fireform your Lapua brass measure it for length.
You should also mic your necks after loading a bullet.

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Excellent Idea

I will buy a box of 220 lapua Russian cases
Fired form with a mild load shall we say 25 grains of N133 and a cheap 6mm projectile.

Then I will measusre all 09 PPC USA cases and take an average OAL of the case

If longer I will trim the fire formed case to match.

I will also make a OAL case from an empty to measure the OAL using a 58 grain A max

Then I will measure the average neck thickness of the fireformed case adding on the bullet diameter and trim to fit 270

I think thats about wrap it up

Am I correct ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it. If you can get your hands on some real BR quality bullets you'll have some fun.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
The .270" neck is too tight for Lapua 220 cases. Actually, they may fit, but just barely. Depends on the lot. Even if they do go under .270" loaded, it won't be by much. Neck turning will be required for the rifle to perform safely.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to the 6mmbr forum, you will find that Norma announced at the Shot Show that they are producing 6PPC brass. Go to the home page and click on the brass and ammo catagory on the rh side. When that screen comes up scroll down and you will see the article.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are now on.

www.norma.cc

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, this Norma 6PPC brass must be a new venture from Norma. I recall, back in the mid 90's, Norma came out with 6PPC brass and it was terrible. A good customer, and friend, of mine wrote an article, in Precision Shooting, about his testing of the Norma side by side with the new Lapua 220 Russian brass. He found that after 15-20 reloads, the Norma would become "work hardened" to the point that it would not hold a "Bump". He gave up trying to work harden the Lapua after 35 or so reloads. It looks like the "new" lot of Norma is holding up well. At least in Lou Murdica's tests so far.