Second try at shooting a ladder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I shot my second ladder today.
Same rifle as before Gamemaster 760 in 30-06
Range was 300 yards
Bullet was Combined Technologies 168 grain SBT

I had 2 distinct two shot clusters. The first two loads and the 5th and 6th load were the two tightest. The other 4 shots were also distinct in where they hit also. It was neat how I could follow them around the grid.

Once my PACT powder dispenser gets here I will be ready to work on finding the loads for two bullets this gun should like.

I must say with the 168 grain and 180 grain bullets the loads 1 and 1.5 grains from max were the tightest.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesWhat does the 760 do with the first two shots from a cold dirty barrel? Don't like to use the term fouled . beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this point I don't know because I have not worked up any load for it. I just used a round out of the stash of ammo I have for my M1 Garand. I cleaned the barrel after the last ladder I shot as I like to keep things the same when I compare different bullets.

For what it is worth the first shot a fouling shot was dead center and about 3 inches low of point of aim. However my test loads were no where near this shot. The first two test shots were within 1 1/2 of each other.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
What is "shooting a ladder"?

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 317 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Leo,

Do a search for "Creighton Audette method of load development"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used this method for years before I ever heard it called Audettes ladder. I would load different powder charges till I got one that would shoot a nice group with 1 grain variation in charge, figuring that this load would shoot well when it was 10 below zero or 80 degrees. Pretty much the same thing the ladder does, only with more of a plan in mind. I have a .220 AI Swift that will put five in a half inch with 45-47 gr H414. Of course it will do .3 with all of them the same charge though.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote