Find
Notify
Tools

c.o.l. questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
hey guys. just started reloading. after navigating through some problems with some lee dies (replaced by rcbs) i have a question. in the current hornady book, it list overall length of a 8x57 mauser with a 195 grain bullet at 3.250. is this right? it seems like too much of the bullet is out of the shell case, plus the cannelure is nowhere near the mouth of the brass. is the hornady book wrong? is it a typo? i need help, please!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
That is probably correct - the 8x57 is a long-throated bugger by CIP spec, and even American reamers have rather long throats. At that OAL, the bullet is still mkaing full contact with the neck, so don't worry about the cann sticking out - its only cosmetiically displeasing, nothing more.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
BYF, COL is determined by three major factors: Magazine length for function, neck tension, and contact with the actual rifling. Depending upon the actual usage for your reloads you control what is best for your rifle. As a general rule of thumb, the further out (longer)the better, however as we get actual contact with the rifling pressures will begin to rise. But seating to deeply is worst offense in my opinion. Good luck and welcome to AR

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
cool. thanks guys. i was worried there for a minute! i knew about the bullets touching the rifling, resulting in high pressures. that's one of the reasons i asked. knew i could find an answer from one of the pro's on AR. thanks a lot, i appreciate it. 308 sako, like the ram mounts! thanks again!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider. If you really want to crimp into a cannelure, corbin makes a roller that will roll them into the bullets. Of course that is only if you REALLY want to crimp into one...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
All of the M98Ks that I have are throated for an O.A.L. in the neighborhood of about 3.150" with the bullets I have tried. (Nosler and Sierra) It will vary some with different bullets, but seldom more than .025"

Try this;

Take a fired case and bring a resizing die down onto the case until you just feel the neck being reformed.

Try to insert a bullet.

Keep experimenting until you get the neck sized to a point that will allow a bullet to be seated with some resistance with your fingers. You should just be able to seat a bullet with your fingers with difficulty.

Now, "smoke" the shank of the bullet, just barely seat it into the case, @ this point you want to mke sure the O.A.L. is long enough to jam the bullet into the lands, then chamber the cartridge.

The smoked shank will tell you if the grip of the lands have pulled the bullet back out of the case.

Try this several time until you are sure that you are getting the true length of your throat.

An O.A.L. about .010" shorter than the length that contacts the lands should be a good place to start.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I would find me some bullets without the cannelure and as a rule of thumb, "one caliber in the neck..." If it is a 308, 323, 375 diameter bullet you are shooting, see if that amount of bullet will fit in the case neck and still feed in the mag, be reasonably close to the lands and grooves and you are good to go. Again, old rule of thumb and not perfect for all cases and would prefer determining the "jump" and seating accordingly.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to know the OAL you need for any bullet in any rifle..take a wooden dowl and insert in down the barrel from the muzzle to the closed bolt face..and then mark it at the muzzle with a ballpoint pen....NOW put a bullet (bullet only) and push it just snugly into the lands in the chamber..then with the same dowell inserted in the muzzle, push it down until if makes contact with the bullet then mark it on the dowel at the muzzle...NOE measure the distance between the two marks...then seat your bullet about .015 deeper in the case, check to see if it will fit in the magazine, if its too long for the magazine the the magazine itself will determine seating depth, which is usually the case anyway except in custom rifles...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS on the above...You must do this with every bullet make or weight that you intend to use as all bullets have a different shape..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray ,, The ol' dowel trick? ... I heard that only works with a special rare, very expensive, precision dowl made from manzanita wood from a island off the coast of new mexico. bewildered

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Finally, a system I can understand!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
that sounds like a good way for OAL. I been dicking around with candles, black ink and gauges all night, and have come up with some screwed numbers, to were I dont trust my self.
Mad

Posts: 21 | Location: American Fork, UT | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
thanks ray. i've heard of, and seen, guys "smoking the bullet". this seems like a much easier way. will go to lowe's, menard's, or home depot and pick a dowel up. thanks again everyone! thumb

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are making it to complicated. You dont need dowels ,smoke,ink, witchcraft, dead chickens, or mirrors.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only grip I have about my Remmington MNT rifle is that the darn Mag is so short I am limited to loading at least .04 off of the lands with ballistic tips or sst's. Any sugestions???? Beats me why a gun maker would cause such a problem.

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote