New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass questions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a load for my 308, 7-08 and 30-06 that all shoot 1.25 or better. Brass make doesn't seem to make a great difference. Most of my practice is done with milsurp as one 308 and the 7-08 are both 700VL's. I am considering buying New brass and load a hundred rounds for each for hunting ammo. This should last for years. What brass do you prefer? Also, would you fire all the brass once, and use once fired brass? This seems like a lot of trouble for how much gain? I reload because I want to tailor my loads, not because I love to reload. thanks capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lapua Brass for the 308. Best in the world, and not as spendy as some calibers because they make a lot of it. Just load up a few to confirm your load, then just load up fresh brass for your hunting loads. No need to use once fired, especially in 308.
Don't neck down 308 Lapua to make your 7mm,08. Use a different brand for identification purposes. Not good to stuff a 308 into a 7mm08. The stuff is cheap enough that you could order 100 each of Winchester and Remington, check for concentricity and uniformity, and then load the good stuff for hunting and use the other for practice.
Lapua again for the 30,06.
Regards, and good hunting,
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Most of my brass is Remington, with Winchester taking up most of the slack. I have some Hornady and some Federal.

None of the Norma, Lapua or other "exotic" brass.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exotic? Norma and Lapua? Don't think so. Both make excellent brass, with Lapua being the prefered, and both are readily available. But they don't make as many calibers as Norma. Norma also has been considered to be "softer" than most brass. This isn't an issue unless you are pushing the pressure limits. But, hands down, Lapua and Norma is the most uniform brass made. I think Winchester is a little better than Remington, as far as uniformaty goes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say dito to everything John says. Since you have both the .308 and 7-08, don't neck down the .308, just buy 100 each of rem and win with the 7-08 headstamp. Whichever is more consistant and shoots better, use it for the good stuff. For some calibers, lapua is reasonable especially if you only plan on buying 100 brass. However, some lots of win are good and buying 500 is a wise idea, but again only if it is a good concentric lot. I'd go with lapua for the .308 and 30-06 if you are only buying 100 of each though because you cannot go wrong with it. My friend shoots long distance bench with his .308 and he swears by IMI brass and states it is extremely consistant, as good as his lapua brass and quite a bit cheaper, but I can't speak from personal experience.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to buy Lapua or Norma for building hunting ammo, its your call of course. I'm sure there is some sort of "bragging rights" involved in spending twice or three times as much for your brass as you need to. I'm sure the deer and the antelope, maybe even the elk, will be impressed.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He, he, he.
I drive a truck with 195,000 miles on it. My second vehicle is a truck with 205,000 miles on it. For an extra 20 cents a round I shoot Lapua, and I feel good!
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote