New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Factory Crimp Die
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No, they are not broken, just interested in playing with it; got an idea .....

cuckoo

..... does anyone know how to take one apart?

bewildered

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The crimping sleeve just slides down and out of the die body.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
craig,

O.K.; I'll try again.

I've got one for about every caliber I load for and I can't take any of them apart. I've turned, un-screwed, slid, pulled - pliers, vice grips, nothing moves and I even tried a wooden dowel with a hammer.

still, bewildered

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like CRAIGSTER says they just, gently, between thumb and finger can be pulled out from the bottom of the die.

Getting them back IN can be tricky as you have to slightly compress the steel wire band back into the grooves.

I am also thinking of either glue or silver solder or braze to make a 8x57 Factory Crimp into an 8x60 Factory Crimp!

In my case brazing it to the bottom of the bit that pulls out.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Just put a washer around the case on top of the shell holder

here shown when using a Lee Collet Neck Sizer. Never tried it with a Lee Factory Crimp but the principle may be the same.

What you are doing is fooling the die and it will crimp a longer case.

Anyway the critical measurement with the Lee Collet is the distance between the case head and shoulder neck junction but I don't know what will work with the crimp die. If the difference is in the length of the case and you are talking about the 8x57JS and the 8x60S then the difference in case length is .122" so you may have to find a washer that is that thick or use 2.

Just an idea and may save you boogering up your die.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just put a washer around the case on top of the shell holder

Woods,

You've already got me off on another tangent here - your "washer trick" is an absolutely brilliant idea - Thank You!

quote:
Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

The LFCD are appearing here in The Fatherland for some European rimmed cartridges now, one's that are not listed on Lee's website.

However, the "Washer Trick" would be a great solution for the 5.6x50R Magnum; for which I've already ginned up a Case Length Trimmer by simply extending the stem of a .22-250 by filling the hollow hole in the cutter and then glueing the stem into it at the appropriate 50mm length vice the 48.46mm for the .22-250 Remington.

Anyway, I still can't get any of my inner sleeves out of the LFCD, back to the drawing board .....

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
No, they are not broken, just interested in playing with it; got an idea .....

cuckoo

..... does anyone know how to take one apart?

bewildered

Gerry, you have entirely too much time on your hands. Isn't Tommy out of 300WM yet and needs more ammo to keep you busy? Wink

Might try putting the Die in the Freezer overnight, possible the collets are of steel and the Die aluminum, not sure just a thot, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote