Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harmonics testing
 Login/Join

posted
I shoot a Blaser Lrs2 in 308 & having heard some disccusions on barrel harmonics & tuning loads with adjustable weights on barrels to find sweet spot am curious to find out has anyone any views on subject? also i tried placing a heavy duty band around barrel 5 inches from muzzel and noticed using same loads a reduction in group size of .300in at 300y, im convinced that changing harmonics of barrel with right load could bring about a tightning of groups, although i need to do a lot more testing on subject, your views welcome, Paul T Ireland.

One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Hey, Paul!
Log in and 'find' in this forum 'Audette' 'Laddertest' or 'harmonics' and you will see what you're looking for!
Nice day,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the recommendation for the Laddertest. It is a method intended to find the "nodes", or harmonic ranges at which your barrel will best perform. I now use it as my starting place whether testing bullets, powders, or new guns.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the laddertest. Have gotten all of my sporter rifles to shoot 1moa or better with hunting bullets, target and varmint bullets are even better, all with minimal amounts of powder and bullets which can add up.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paul T:
I shoot a Blaser Lrs2 in 308 & having heard some disccusions on barrel harmonics & tuning loads with adjustable weights on barrels to find sweet spot am curious to find out has anyone any views on subject? also i tried placing a heavy duty band around barrel 5 inches from muzzel and noticed using same loads a reduction in group size of .300in at 300y, im convinced that changing harmonics of barrel with right load could bring about a tightning of groups, although i need to do a lot more testing on subject, your views welcome, Paul T Ireland.

PT,
There is a Gismo that slips over your barrel that is call a "??Resonator"??. It is basically a rubber dodad that absorbs the vibes or alters them when you fire your rifle
At this time I can not remember the name of the Mfg, but I am sure it will come to me later and I will post it.

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sims Vibration Labratory, makers of Limbsaver archery products makes the Resonator?. I don't know how well it works, but I do find to be unsightly.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, it doesn't look sexy,but if it works I don't care what it looks like. You don't have to leave on the barrel, only put it on when you getready to shoot

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote