New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low velosity rounds and subsonic?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for info or data so that I can down load my 222, 338Win.Mag or 45/70.
I have some Barnes .224 64gr. SP I would like to shoot at 2000fps. or less. Same with the .338 and 45/70. I would like to shoot some 250gr. bullets at 1000 fps. if possible.
If you have any experience or know of where I can find some data, please let me know.

Thanks,

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just one thing to remember...subsonic ends at 1200 fps. Good luck, might try cast bullets in both rifles.

<PaulS>
posted
Yukoner,
Both Speer and Hodgdon manuals list reduced velocity rounds but not sub-sonic. The Hodgdon manual lists reduced velocity loads for lead and some jacketed bullets and the Speer manual has one reduced velocity load (usually) in each caliber loading.
You might try H4895 at 60% loading (down from max) as it is one powder that Hodgdon recommends doing just that - and they brag that you can get very good accuracy even at the low end of loading density.

PaulS

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yukoner, there is a good supply of information on 222 and 223 "hornet level" loads using bluedot (the recipe is 12 gr. for a 223). These are NOT LOW PRESSURE, nor entirely quiet, but the are quieter.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/tobee2.html

The standard recipe for reduced loads in the '06 class cartridges is 12-13 grains of Red Dot. Again, not low pressure, but quieter and slower. Using heavy bullets makes them the quietest (is that a word?).

http://pub86.ezboard.com/fmilitaryfirearmrestorationcornerfrm6.showMessage?topicID=219.topic

I have used the Speer loads, and they aren't very quiet..... But they are a bit quieter.

Your story reminds me of the tales of my uncle in Pemberton B.C. He would shoot downer cows to cull the griz a bit...... loooong time ago. I guess there still ARE a few wild places out there. Thanks for letting us enjoy them a bit with you.... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Yukoner, I used to use a good many reduced loads. Just thinking, I now only have one that I use around the house.

Anyway, a good source to help you achieve your goals can be found in the Lyman Manual. The cast-bullet loads can be used with jacketed bullets. Same would be true for any cast-bullet Manual you have access to.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember that with reduced loads that have a lot of air space in the case , use a Dacron
filler or fill to base of bullet with cream of wheat on top of powder

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote