Speer bullets
 Login/Join

<Roger 4>
posted
Hello all;,,I haven`t loaded any Speer in
quite a while,,,Im looking at their
SptzBT In 270 Win 130gr,,25-06 100gr,,,and
243 Win 85gr.,,all are Sptz. BTs.
Just wondering about the combination of accuracy and hunting performance. They were
a gift and I have 200 of each,,so guess
Ill try to use them if they preform pretty well,,,any thoughts on them or good loads
would be appreciated,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger 4 (edited 12-19-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I get very good results at the range with Speer bullets. The flat bases have some advantages: The lead is poured in hot, and it bonds with the jacket, reducing core-jacket separation. The BC of a Speer flat base is very close to that of a Hornady boat tail (also a very good bullet). And tip to base length is more consistent than other brands I have checked, leading to more consistent powder capacity for the same COL.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I trust the Hornady bt's but not the Speers. They have a way of separating on game. Their flat bases are a different story though.

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup! Hornady has the only boat tail I know of that has a good mechanism for keeping jacket and core together.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
Roger:

Back in the early 80's I tried the Speer 100 gr. BTSP in my 25-06. Accuracy with IMR 4831 was yielding one-hole groups. Performance on deer was another matter. One blew up on the shoulder of a 3-pt. mulie at 125 yds. The second deer I shot with it (the very next day)was a 3-pt. whitetail at aprx. 75 yds. He was hit broadside through the lungs. The first lung hit looked as if hit by a shotgun with only a couple fragments in the off-side lung. After that I went to Nosler Partitions and then Barnes X-Bullets for deer and antelope. With that said this bullet yielded spectacular results on coyotes, prarie dogs and crows.

Good Shooting,

Ben H

<bearlake>
posted
I have had good luck with speer bullets also.
I have loaded rifle and handgun loades with both. I have never had a bullet fail when hunting. If you load hand gun rounds the gold-dot bullets are about the best on the market. I would like to see speer come out with a balistic tip/plastic tiped bullet line for the .22 through 8mm bullets.

<Roger 4>
posted
Thanks for the comments fellows,,,I do agree
with you all about the Hornady Boat Tails they work very well indeed,,,I have shot mostly Nosler Sierra & Berger for the last several years,,and also tried the New Hornady rounds
in the last year,,,really like the V-Max
and A-Max performance,,especially for the price,,but as I said the Speers were a gift
and you cant complain with free,,(especially from family,,haha).Thanks again for input
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roger