New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 rem and varget
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I loaded some 223's this past weekend with 55 gr v-max's and varget. Groups ran pretty wild at first, then tightened up as loads got hotter. With 27.0 grs., I shot a 5 shot group that ran .5". There were no signs of high pressure and I wanted to try Hodgon's published max of 27.5 grs. Problem is that 27.0 grs. varget is a compressed load that fills the case into the neck. I am using a long drop tube and can't see any way of stuffing .5 more grains in the case. Just wondering how those of you who manage to get 27.5 or even 28 grs into the case do it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a drop tube; I use a beam scale and dribble the powder in slowly. It's time consuming, but works. You can also use the drop tube, fill the case a ways, shake it down a bit to settle the powder, and keep doing that until you get the amount you want.

My solution to stuffing more powder into a .22 caliber case was to buy a 22-250; now I use 36gr Varget and a 52gr Sierra BTHP. Roll Eyes But I still like my .223...

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also try neck sizing your brass. It sometimes gives you just enough additional capacity to get that last half grain of powder in. Good luck. I don't think you can get enough varget into a .223 to get in trouble with 55 gr and under bullets.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The difference between neck and full length sizing is more than a grain. I use 26 gn 2206 (3031) behind 55grn projectiles for 3170 fps into a 9mm group. A compressed load.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides holding your finger over the top and tapping the case to settle the powder. You might try using winchester brass as it does have more volume than other brass. vangunsmith

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to a 50 grainer and shoot Benchmark. Varget is a great 308 powder. I really confine my 55 grainers to BLC(2) and work it out the best I can. I really think the 223 is optimally a 50 grain proposition.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geekay:
The difference between neck and full length sizing is more than a grain. I use 26 gn 2206 (3031) behind 55grn projectiles for 3170 fps into a 9mm group. A compressed load.

Depends on your chamber, but it does make quite a difference.

My FLsized Win 223 with 26gr 2206 is not compressed, because I swerl it into the case.
2206 is not 3031, It's not avail in U.S. as far as I know. AR2206H is and is called H4895 and is slightly slower.
I can get 27gr of Varget in with swerl plus vibration of an electric razor at the same time.
But it is still well compresssed.

Benchmark would solve the problem, it's great up to 69gr Sierra at least.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by van:
Besides holding your finger over the top and tapping the case to settle the powder. You might try using winchester brass as it does have more volume than other brass. vangunsmith

I agree with Van in that the Winchester brass does seem to offer a whisper more capacity in almost all of the available calibers. I also had trouble getting enough Varget in my Winchester 223 cases to get the velocity that I wanted with some Nosler 40g BT's. Seafire suggested and I tried RL-7 and problem was gone with the velocity and accruacy meeting the goals. I decided that for me the Varget would be saved for the 22-250 and on up calibers. I have been impressed with the RL powders and pondered the idea of replacing some of my 300 Win Mag loads with RL from H4831. JMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been working on some 223 loads and I have only neck sized the remington brass. I loaded a 50gr V-Max and 27.5 gr of Varget at 2.285" for my handi rifle and the powder was halfway up the neck. I started at the min load and worked my way up to max and could see no difference in the primers or cases as far as pressure signs. I am getting a 3 shot group of .432 at 100yds. I lightly tap my cases on the bench while pouring the powder in.

posted Hide Post
I can get all the W748 in a case I want...the only problem is its so fine it goes right through the flashole and onto the ground. When I try to take my finger away from the primer pocket to seat a new primer almost half of the powder pours out through the flashole Geeze...what a waste of powder.

OK, just kidding

www.ammobrasstrader.com

posted Hide Post
I have loaded 27.5gr Varget with 55gr V-MAX. The bullet is seated just off the lands (OAL 2.218"). With my once fired Lapua factory loaded brass 27.5gr fills the case to just about overflowing (slightly mounded in some cases). With care I can still just get a bullet in, but it is a compressed load.

Using Lapua Match brass I can load the same charge but have room in the case. The bullet seated to the same OAL only just touches the powder, but does not compress it - no compression can be felt or heard when seating the bullet.

This is a hot load with a heavy (and loud!) recoil for .223, but I have not yet had any signs of overpressure on my brass or primers.

Try the Lapua Match brass. It seems to have different internat dimensions to the brass used for standard factory loadings.

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uhhhh, why not go to another powder?? H335 comes to mind. I shoot .222, .223 and 22-250's and haven't found Varget to be the "best" powder in any of them.
When Varget first came out it was gonna be the do-all be-all powder. I've tried it in several different cartridges and have always been able to find a powder that did a better job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because I have three pounds of Varget and no H335. Also, I run my loads hot as you can tell. Varget is much less temp sensitive than H335. Also, the .5" groups aren't too shabby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some BlC-2 my AR likes 25.5 grains with 55 grain projectiles .325 " groups . H335 is also a real good powder as previously mentioned . I've yet to get Varget to work for me , I have not given up on it yet . salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never here of too many people using h322, my h&r ultra varmint will shot 1 1/2 or smaller 200 yard groups with 24.5 grains of h322 rem brass cci 400 primer and 50 grain v-max

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several "go to" standard powder loads I use, regardless of bullet weight, as I find that I get accurate results, with no pressure problems...

Varget.. 27.5 grains with Bullet weights from 40 to 60 grains..

IMR 4320, 28 grains, with bullet weights again from 40 to 60 grains.....

BLC 2... 28.5 grains from 40 to 60 grains bullets..

H 335.. not top velocity, but definitely accurate... 25 grains, with 40 to 60 grains bullets..

H 322... 25 grains, again very accurate with 40 to 60 grain bullets...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
H335 is actually my powder of choice for the 55gr. However, I have not been able to buy it here in the UK since August last year. There is supposedly a shipment that is stuck with customs either in the US or UK which has affected delivery. VV powders for .223 are also unavailable, leaving the more unsuitable powders for light-mid weight bullets, such as Varget. Luckily my rifle has a fast twist and so am able to use the heavier bullets with a powder that only workd with the heavies in my rifle!

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote