New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ramshot Powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using Ramshot TAC in both the 204 and the 223 for the past several months and have been very happy it in both cartridges. I bought 23 pounds of the stuff when it was on sale from Midway for $9.99/lb. I originally bought it for use in my ARs figuring that I didn't need it to be super accurate anyway. As it turns out, it is almost as good as my favorite loads in both the 223 and the 204. My favorite powder in the 223 was H-335 with BLC-2 a close second. BLC-2 was my favorite for the 204. All 3 powders are very similar in both look and characteristics as far as I can tell.
I have just started reoloading for the 22-250 recently and I also reload for the 220 Swift. I notice that TAC can be used in the 22-250 and I will probably try some soon. I also notice that BIG Game is listed for both the 220 Swift and the 22-250. Hunter is also listed for use in the 220 as well as the 25-06 which I also reload for. So, my questions is do any of you have any experience with any of these in the calibers mentioned. Also, are these ball type or extruded powders. Has anyone had any experience with Xterminator in the 204 and the 223. All of these powders seem to be quite a bit cheaper than others out there so if they are decent I would like to get some before they go up as well. If you haven't tried TAC take my word for it and try some. Cool

"Get yourself a Glock and get ridof that nickle plated sissy pistol."

Posts: 28 | Location: Maine | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm experimenting with Hunter in a .280 Rem and a .338 Win Mag--sort of a H4350 to R19 burner. The powder is ball type, seems very clean burning, and has not disappointed in the velocity department. Sorry I can't help you with your specific cartridges, but so far I've liked the powder and as you have noticed, the price is fair. I believe the Ramshot powders are touted as being fairly temperature stable as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks High slot. I was wondering wether they were temp sensitive or not. I just forgot to ask.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Big Game is now my go powder in my 22-250 with a Sierra #1365 55 gr. SBT. Nosler #6 now lists it as the most accurate powder for the 55 gr. bullets. It was nice to see they agreed with my results...

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bob. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, especially since it is positive. I have found working with H-380 and H-414 that what works well in the 22-250 also works pretty well in the 220 Swift. I am hoping this to be the case with Big Game as well. With the price of everything going up so much lately I would like to order a bunch of Ramshot powders while it can still be had relatively cheaply. Have you found Big Game to be temperature sensitive at all? It is something I never really concerned myself with till I blew a primer with a load of H-380 in the 220 Swift.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problems at all. I agree, I have had lots of variance wiht H-380 here in Texas. We go from 10 degrees to 105 degrees.....almost overnight!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting elk with Hunter in my 7mmRemMag w/ 160Accubonds (I know there are better powders, but I got good groups with it). During the last week of the MT Elk season a nice cold spell hit with temps dropping well below zero and never got over 20 in the hills. Hunter delayed fired twice. Sound of the cap (CCI Mag) then a boom. The delay was as slow as a muzzleloader. Luckily I only loaded 40 rounds in 7mm, but I'm going to unload it from my 300WSM load workups as soon as my bullet puller gets here.

I'm going back to XMR-4350 in 300WSM. I am going to experiment with Hodgdon Hybrid 100V if I can find it.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote