New
Find
Notify
Tools

The deadly rebated rim problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard the 425 Westley Richards cartridge is not suitable for a DGR because of the rebated rim.

What malfunction does a rebated rim cause? Is the malfunction peculiar to CRF rifles, or would it happen with a push feed rifle?

I ask about push feeds, because 1) I worry a wee bit about Remington Ultramagnums and 2) if the problem is no problem in a Model 700, that is good news for a lefthander with a hot 338 on his wish list.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The .425 W.R. was created for use in boly-action rifles. In theory, the bolt face casn fail to contact the cse head when the bolt is worked, particularly when operated fast, and the bolt then will ride over the round and force it back into the magazine, leaving you with a cocked rifle and an empty chamber!! Bad news if facing a buff, lion, elephant, etc.!! I have no experience with the .425, but have a Mauser-actioned 6mm/.284, a case which also has a rebated rim, but I don't think it is as radically rebated in relation to the case diameter as is the .425. I have NEVER had any feeding problems with the .284 case in a bolt-action. [Big Grin]

<JBelk>
posted
HenryC470---

The rebated rim doesn't allow the case to rise high enough to contact the bolt face....BUT, some of the finest DGR rifles of all time are the Westley Richards 425 take-downs.

-

Here's one.

The two feeding claws are spring loaded to the center and act as hooks that hold the 425 case in the single-stack magazine. As the bolt goes forward it cams the two hooks to the outside and they release the cartride to the bolt face.