Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Measures which one?
 Login/Join

posted
I am in the market for a new powder measure. I deceided on Redding match Grade model 3BR OR the Harrel Custom 90 OR Harrell Premium Culver Measure. Besides the cost which I already realize. I would like some input on the better preformer. I usely reload rifles, using mostly IMR 4350 or H-4831. Sometimes I use a finer powder but not often.
Thank you for any first hand knowlege,
Big Bear

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear,

I've no experience with those, only Belding & Mull and RCBS.

I will say I've gone to only short-grain and spherical powders as there is ample selection in them and they meter so much better.

Each time I use a different powder in the measure I check to see how much one rotation changes weight and post it on a list above the bench.

That makes future adjustments a piece of cake.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
A Lee Perfect Powder Measure will perform equally well as those three, if not better on stick powders, and save you anywhere from $100 - 150. No measure works really well on stick powders. Expect +/- .2g variation with any of them. I'd also recommend you use H-4831 Short Cut. It meters better.

Martindog

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Like said before, stick powders really don't measure that well. That said I really like my Redding measure over the RCBS unit. In my experience Hodgdon powders meter better than IMR and Ball powders are the best of all.

posted Hide Post
I use the Harrel 90 and find it throws very consistent loads with both stick and ball type powders, I have no experience with Redding.

Posts: 13 | Location: ct. usa | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
<brandx>
posted
I've tested most of the available powder measures and there is not much difference in actual accuracy between them with stick powders, and none of them are adequate if you want to be within 0.1 gr. The old Belding and Mull was the best but it is not available, still not that accurate and more cumbersome in use. There are several electronic systems to weigh out charges but most are really not an improvement. For state of the art, look at:
www.askfirst.com/prometheus
Lot's of big names have gone to this for their loading needs.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
With the Lee I have to weigh each powder dump. MMy number 1 powder is IMR4350. I trickle up the last few 10ths because it isn't accurate enough to be bang on every time.