New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Case Master Guaging Tool
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone using the RCBS Case Guaging Tool? Is there something better on the market?

Posts: 26 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS,it works as advertised but I wish I would have spent a little more and got Sinclairs version. Part # 09-175 I think the ball bearings would make for much easier and smoother operation.They have the Neco version also for about $150 and I think Hollands makes one.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/index.html

[ 11-28-2003, 22:32: Message edited by: jsr ]

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjolnir2thor:
Anyone using the RCBS Case Guaging Tool? Is there something better on the market?

I have the RCBS version and a older version of the Sinclair tool.......For case neck concentricity either tool will work...the new version of the Sinclair with the ball rest would seem to make less contact with the case and thus make it easier to get consistant measurements without the possibility of burrs and dings from fired cases causing movement of the case and effecting the dial movement....the Sinclair neck wall thickness tool uses the RCBS pilot stops and is fast and easy to use......I keep one set for case neck measurements and the other for case wall thickness variances......the Sinclair doesn't do the body wall thickness that the RCBS does but the probe is so thin in the RCBS that I don't feel that I get a good measurement using that body wall setup with the RCBS but I usually go by neck wall thickness variance and sideline any that are out too much without worring about the body....long....range shooters might need the body check......the RCBS will be cheaper and more cluttered to do all the test....the Sinclair does the individual test easier but requires two tools...body/neck concentricity tool and case neck wall thickness/variance tool to do what the RCBS does..the RCBS will get 95% and the added cost of the Sinclair setups will get a few % more for superaccurate chambers/guns/brass.....imo...good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, there is always something better. How much do you want to spend? The RCBS is more than good enough for prepping cases to be used for hunting/varminting cartridges. The more you work with it, the better you'll be able to get accurate readings from it. There are a few tricks you can use to improve the RCBS tool, but for what I use it on, it's plenty good enough the way it comes from RCBS.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote