New
Find
Notify
Tools

444 marlin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a good load worked up that I want to try.43.5 gr IMR 4198 behind a 300 grain Hornady XTP. It shoots great and I can't wait to see what a 300 gr hollow point will do at 2100 fps. The only problem is that the XTP looks kinda fragile for these speeds. I know that they were made to perform at 44 mag speeds around 900 fps. Upon cutting one in half and crushing another with a press break, I'm kinda worried that they will fall apart on a shoulder.
Should I be looking more to a partition gold?
Any other tough bullets come to mind?
Thanks

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer 300grPSP is the best jacketed bullet I've found.
wort

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never shot the 300 XTP but the 240's don't work at close range rifle velocities IMO. I'd asssume the Nosler's will work. FWIw, there is a source in Butte, Mt. for paper patch bullets up to 350 gr. swaged to .422" if you're interested. I use 300 gr. in a .44 rifle and they do very nicely in the mid 1500 fps range. I think they'll handle higher velocity but the .44 Mag isn't going to get there. Montana Precision Swaging if you care. Flat or hollow point, flat or cupped base, w/ a RNFP design.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out the cast selection from beartooth bullets at http://www.beartoothbullets.com/
big fans of the 444 over there. Several good articles on it in the tech notes section.

Posts: 9 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load the 300 grain XTPs a lot. They really hang a job on what they hit. I have shot them at the 2100 fps, but I have started loading 20 grains of Blue Dot for a MV of 1750 or so in a 22 inch barrel. Recoil is reduced dramatically and the difference in range is negligible.

I have a lot of faith in the XTP in the 444.
It does not need max velocity to do its intended job.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300gr Speer UCSP
330gr Beartooth LFNGC
Both with 56.0gr H335 ~ 2200fps
DEVASTATING rounds.

Otherwise you can get a box of the Hornady light mag 265gr loads...those things are awesome! Buffalo Bore and CorBon also offer factory loads that will put the hurtin' on anything that moves. The XTP was designed for pistol velocities, and it gets pretty iffy once you get above 2000fps...it'll get the job done though, but IMHO the aforementioned bullets are better all-around performers.

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote