New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma .264 brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been lucky enough to have 300 pieces of new Winchester brass to work with but now it's all once-fired and I need to find new brass to replenish. A dozen years ago I started with Remington brass because that's what I found first. I was having pressure signs before reaching max loads with most every load I tried and ended up trying Winchester brass on advice of others and all the pressure signs went away. Of course, I can't find Winchester brass anywhere. All I can find is Norma and Nosler brass. I've read where Nosler brass is made by Norma but I've also read where that's true for only certain calibers. In any case, I'd like to try one of these but I don't want to spend that much to only discover it's as soft as the Remington I was using years ago.

Has anyone tried either of these? It would be great to find someone who's had to leave Winchester brass for one of these to get a good side by side comparison.

Note, I'm using these for stout hunting loads so I'm wondering what changes to expect if the Norma has less capacity. In other words, how much velocity will I end up losing at max pressure. I do notice loose primer pockets after a few loads but I'm not sure how much of that is the brass (I've been reading where some complain about that with Winchester).

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You only fire your brass once?
I have had the most problems with soft brass from WW, so it probably varies. As for the Norma; only way to tell is to do it. I have not used much norma brass.
You could always back off on your loads a bit; the animals won't notice it but your brass will.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I'll use the brass until it's unusable but I like new or once fired for hunting. Since I've only got 300 and I've fired it all once it's time to start looking so I've got some on hand by the time I need it. That's especially true if I've got to take the time to work up to the load with different brass.

I was hoping I could find some 7mm Winchester brass to neck down but that seems difficult to find as well.

Interesting that your experience is the opposite of mine with the Winchester brass. Granted, I've only used two lots of their brass so my sample size is pretty small.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote