New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet comparison
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gearing up for shoot break in and sight in my new 270 WSM, I took some measurements of several bullets under consideration.

Barnes TSX 130 and 140 Grain.
Nosler Accubond.
Scirroco 130 grain.

I measured weight and length.

The TSX had the most spread in weight, around .7 grain for the 140 and .5 grain for the 130. Length as measured using a Stoney Point gage was dead on for all the TSX, 140 and 130.

The Scirrooco varies .005 in length. Weight varied by .3 grains.

The Accubond weight ran from 139.9 grains to 140.1 grains, with most of them being dead on. (RCBS electronic scale.) Length varied by only .003 spread.

This week I start shooting using Retumbo and RL 25. I'd like to try Magpro but can't get any.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I spent a lot of time this spring and summer playing with my 270 WSM. I tried, IMR 4350, RL-19, Retumbo, and MagPro. I used Hornady SST, Nosler BST and Partition and Barnes XBT & TSX bullets.

Hornady SST in 130g with 66g of RL-19 are very accurate and should be a good deer load. Mild recoil.

But I went with the 140g premium bullet, mainly because I usually have both a deer and elk tag and wanted something I could use on both animals.

Retumbo is a good choice. But it will be a compressed load. My point of impact changed very little with Retumbo regardless of the bullet I used. It is a compressed load. The 140g Nosler bullets will be around 3200fps with 71g of Retumbo. I got 3300fps with the Barnes TSX and 72g of Retumbo.

I like MagPro. I am getting 3375-3400fps (depending on the day, chrony) and very good groups with the Barnes TSX & 75.0 MagPro. But I've worried I may be pushing it too much. No pressure sign, but I don't want to experience any either. I've traded emails with several others that say 73g is all their guns will handle.

Since you are weighing TSX bullets. I assume you bought a box. Let me know what kind of speed & groups you get with them.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
RogerK- I don't know about your 270 WSM ,but with the 3 different 300 WSM I have worked with, I have got my best groups and vel using IMR 4064 and H-414.

Painted Horse- question on the MagPro- Is that load compressed in your 270 WSM?? Have Tried starting loads with it in my 300 WSM (150gr bullets) and they fill the case to almost compressed status.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
Tiny,

At the load I'm using it is starting to compress.

Not as bad as the Retumbo loads though.

<Savage 99>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Painted Horse:

I like MagPro. I am getting 3375-3400fps (depending on the day, chrony) and very good groups with the Barnes TSX & 75.0 MagPro. But I've worried I may be pushing it too much. No pressure sign, but I don't want to experience any either. I've traded emails with several others that say 73g is all their guns will handle.

What is the head expansion on that load?

one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I measured 19 spent cases last week as I shot them. They are coming out of my gun at .555

I resized them and measure them again. They are .554 to .5545 out of my dies.

<Savage 99>
posted
How far up from the extractor groove are you measuring? I get .5495" on new unfired WW .270 WSM brass measured less than 1/32" up from the groove and .5510" on handloads fired from new brass.