Find
Notify
Tools

Switching from Barnes XLC to Uncoated and Back
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted
Has anyone here tried switching from the XLC's to uncoated bullets (say Swift A-Frames and Barnes solids) and back without cleaning (I know that this was reported to be a problem with some of the home coated moly bullets, but are the XLC's any better in this respect)? This would be along the lines of using the three different types of bullets on an African hunt, where ammo might be interchanged several times during the day for various animals. I was thinking of the 375 H&H with 270 grain XLC's for long range plains game, and 300 grain A-Frames and Barnes solids for dangerous game. In the past I have done a similar three bullet combo of 250 grain A-Frames, 300 grain A-Frames, and the old 300 grain Hornady steel jacketed solids (which are no longer available) with good success, but I would like a higher B.C. for the light bullet to improve longer distance performance. My concern here is the potential fouling problems with mixing these different types of bullets, as Africa is not the place to have to clean the barrel and shoot 10 or 20 shots to get the grouping settled down again.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never found xlc's to require seasoning shots to stabilize accuracy like moly coated bullets do.They also do not leave deposits in the barrel like moly.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
stubblejumper,

Thanks. Have you fired uncoated bullets in the same barrel without cleaning?

Jim

posted Hide Post
Why would you want to go back to the uncoated ones after firing the XLC's ?? They do not foul the barrel any where near as bad as the plain jane versions.. I also have "DANZAC" coated the standard X-bullet and have found that they foul even less than the XLC's. To bad they don't offer that type of coating to the masses. I really think that the XLC's are much better than the uncoated ones, I use then in 7mm mags, .338's and my new toy the 300 SAUM --AWESOME !! Can't wait to drill a deer or a bear with it...

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Cambria,PA USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There shouldn't be a problem. The blue coating does not act like moly in that it doesn't build up in the barrel or layer copper/blue etc. It does have a tendency to build up in the throat of the barrel but a bronze brush takes care of that problem while brushing out the powder fouling no problem. Firing an uncoated bullet down the barrel gets rid of the build up as well with no noticeable affect on the "cleaning" bullet.

Where you may run into problems, is the composition of the other copper bullets you use. Because of the nature of the X bullet, harder jacket material from other bullets left in the barrel can rapidly strip copper from the x's causing increased fouling. The coating may actually negate this problem somewhat?

The best thing to do is shoot them and see.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Frank,

When I was asking about uncoated bullets I was talking about other brands of bullets, not uncoated X bullets. I want to be able to interchange the XLC's with A-Frames, and Barnes solids.

Chuck,

Thanks. I have some XLC's on the way right now, so in a few days I guess that I will try them out.
Jim

[ 08-06-2003, 06:59: Message edited by: mbogo375 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gone from xlc's to ballistic tipsto partitions and noticed no real differences after using the xlc's.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote