Find
Notify
Tools

CH4D Primer Pocket Swage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
I bought a CH4D swage to clean up some 5.56 military brass. My shell holder (RCBS #10) is so sloppy that the swage lifts up the case which makes a mess of the rim.

Are any of the case holders on the market tighter? I shimmed the case to make it tighter and the unit performed very well.

Appreciate any thoughts. Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Case holders are very sloppy thats for sure

Love my Dillon swag

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should not use a swage with a shell holder.

You use a die with a heat treated heavy duty rod that goes down inside the case neck and stops against the solid head. Even so you can bend these rods if you are too agressive. I have the RCBS version and it works better to cycle the swage 3 or 4 times or even jiggle it more until the brass moves. Becareful with large quantities like more than a hundred. You can cause a nasty case of tennis elbow that can take a year to get over.

From my readings the Dillon swage, while expensive, is more efficient and is probably better for your elbow.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Are you looking at the CH4D swage?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Are you looking at the CH4D swage?

I am not sure you can ever get good results from the CH tool design. A shell holder supports the case mostly from one side. Any force applied from the bottom is going to tip the case off to one side.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Had discussion with Dave from CH4D about the issues. He said a sloppy shell holder will cause problems and RCBS may be loose, and Lee will be an issue.

He is sending me a CH4D shell holder on their dime.

Film at eleven.......

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA