Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Performance .44 bullets - anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
Has anyone tried reloading these bullets (either 255gr or 275gr lead wide flat nose plain base)?

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded the 300gr only in my 44mag!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite hardcast hunting bullets for .44 Mag and .45 Colt are Lynn Halstead's Dry Creek bullets but he is no longer casting. I have also used the Cast Performance bullets and they are excellent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had some real good luck with Lyman 429421's (SWC Keith Style) at or about 1200fps. If you're cylinder throats are uniform and your barrel is smooth and dimensionally sound (Not bell mouthed or crushed under the frame) this should not give you any leading.

I'm currently loading some Beartooth 250gr LFN at 1300fps at a BHN hardness of about 21. The meplat is .300" and should provide good on game performance. My groups are 1.5" at 25 yards with sanbags.

By no means is this a long range load, but with the gas check, you take take it up another 200-300 fps in a modern S&W N-Frame and more in a Ruger Bisley/SRH/SBH. I don't believe this is possible with a plain base, as the temp would likely melt the lead. Of course, please follow published load data and always work UP to the maximum published.

Good Luck
EMC2

Posts: 37 | Location: South Central Long Island, NY | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks men!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote