New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon RL550 disassembly
 Login/Join

posted
Evening all,

Just went down stairs to get the press ready for my new 9mm dies due to show up any day. Figured I'd run a couple hundred 45 through it since the dies are already there. Went to cycle the handle and ram and I got an awful squeak. Started to remove the pins I could from the links and handle and grease them. Come to find out, the noise is cominf from the top pin that goes through the two links at the top and through the press casting. Due to my negligence on this pin, they are tight as H**L. I been spraying Kroil in there for about two hours and they are better. But I'd like to take that pin out and clean it and the bore of the pin, grease and reassemble. I do not see any set screws and obviously any e-clips holding that pin in. Is it pressed it? How to remove it? Any ideas?

Thanks

Sid

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My snippy answer is; get a Hornady LNL. The Dillon is way over sold as to it's benefits. Otherwise, I can't answer it.
No hate mail please; I get plenty of it now.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Honesty sir. I can appreciate that. But since this is the only press in my house, I must make it work, although I will not argue with you. The Dillon is finicky to say the least.

Have a good night.

Sid

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Call Dillon in the morning and they will be glad to help you.
I have an RL 450B bought in 1983ish going strong, load everything on it.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I got it. Followed a gentlemans instructions on the web. Remove the ram completely. Drive one pin out one way. Come from the other direction and drive the other out. The aluminum links were a tiny bit gauled and so was the top pins. Cleaned them up with some 600grit. Greased them and then pressed them back in. 30wt oil on the ram and grease on all the other pins.

The press never ran this smoothly when I first got it like 12 years ago of Craigslist. I always greased the lower pins but never messed with the top two pins. they finally bit me tonight.

But all is well.

Have a good holiday all.

Sid

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
My snippy answer is; get a Hornady LNL. The Dillon is way over sold as to it's benefits. Otherwise, I can't answer it.
No hate mail please; I get plenty of it now.

No hate from me..... I agree totally! Glad you got that Dillon running.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Good news there Cityjacket! I am going to walk upstairs and check mine.
Best regards,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a manual, call Dillon and get one - it's a big help.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote