Find
Notify
Tools

OAL ? for 375 H&H w/ Triple Shock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
My new Win Mdl 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H is at the gunsmiths having a scope mounted. I wanted to load up some rounds so I would be ready to shoot when I got it back. However, I do not know how deep to seat the 300 Gr.Barnes Triple X bullets for this rifle. Can anybody tell me what the overall length for this combination should be?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help with the OAL but you amy want to wait till you get it back because the Magazine box limits TSX in most calibers.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

Don't let anyone tell you what the OAL should be...not even a reloading manual! You could have a short throated chamber. You need to determine the length on your particular rifle with the specific bullet you'll be using. Trust me...I learned this the hard way when I bought a .280 that had an unusually short throat. I used a reloading manual to set OAL for some mild loads to fire form new cases. The recoil and the chronograph reading from the first shot told me something wasn't quite right. I knew the pressure was higher than it should have been, and the only reasonable answer was that the bullet was into the lands. Sure enough, I assembled a dummy round and found the permissible OAL with that particular bullet to be quite a bit less than the manual stated. Needless to say I will NEVER again fire a reload with a different bullet in any firearm without first checking where it contacts the lands. Just for chits and giggles I measured some different makes of factory ammo with the same bullet weight and found the OAL to be much less than the manual's max OAL. Go figure. They must know something.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd load them up to the length of the magazine first, then you can seat them deeper if you need to when you get the rifle back. You sure won't need them seated longer than the magazine! Most .375's will hit the end of the mag. box before they touch the rifling, but you never know.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote