New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 WM and 130 TTSX load requested...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone with a good recipe for this combo???

Warning: Trespassers will be shot.......survivors will be shot again...........

Posts: 92 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of interesting scenario's with the 130 TSX or TTSX in the 300 Win. First the load data. Barnes manual #4 calls for a starting charge of 71 grains of AA2700 and a max charge of 78 grains. There are two considerations listed. Use all of the shank, theres not much there, crimp it lightly with a factory type crimp die. Use a light crimp if you seat the bullet to SAAMI Specs for a 130 grain bullet. The bullet will be deeper than the shank ogive junction leaving an exposed case mouth ridge. By crimping against the ogive you will aid smooth feeding. This is not a load I have used but it is the recommended load from the Barnes manual. 3485 fps is the max velocity listed. Thats really zippin. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I give you the load the usual disclaimer. I'm shooting a 25" 300tikka that has a fair amount of freebore and win brass which is roomier than many other brands. I used quickload and worked up to 86.5 of IMR7828ssc. The result was 3575fps, no pressure signs, and 5 shots under 2" @200yds.
If not using win brass and you don't have freebore please start well below this. BTW Quickload forecasts 3588fps for this load at 63k pressure.
Not sure what I'd use it for but If I need a laser beam to about 400 yds it would be the medicine. I realize after that longer bullets would probably hold up better. But, I like to tinker and these results were good!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Try starting around 64 grains of Varget and working up. Mine topped out at 3480 FPS with TSXs, and was very accurate.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote