Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 help please
 Login/Join

<marcus>
posted
Hi All.
To make a long story short, I was at the gunshop awhile back and they had a Browning B-78 in 25-06 which was too pretty to pass up and the price was right. I will be using it mainly for deer but also general shooting, so looking for a one load does it all and concerned about accuracy. Secondly, I do not know if I will be able to get the handloads worked up prior to the season, so has anyone had any luck with factory ammo for accuracy. I know each rifle is different, but would like a place to start. Thanks in advance for your advice.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
 -
5-shots at 200-yards
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Optics: Leupold 3.5x10
Case: Remington
Primer: Winchester WLR
Powder: 52.5 grains of H-4831
Bullet: Sierra 120 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail
Velocity: 2922 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am getting terrific accuracy with Winchesters 120 grain PEP(positive expanding point)factory load in my Sako 25.06.Great deer bullet. Winchester only puts this bullet in the 25.06.Light crosswind or fairly stiff tailwind and it consistently puts 3 shots inside of a dime at 100 yards.My best handload group is at least twice as big being much closer to 1 inch or better with Hornady hp interbonds and 40.3 grains of IMR 4895. Good luck and congrats on the Browning.Sounds like a nice rifle.

[ 10-02-2003, 10:08: Message edited by: turnerhunter ]

Posts: 111 | Location: Turner Valley, Alberta | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try any factory load with a 117 Sierra Gameking.
Normally a very accurate bullet with good performance on deer.

Also try the Hornady Light magnums if you can find some.
If your gun will shoot them they are a good deer load with good velocity for factory ammo.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I have not used a factory load in years, but when I last did Federal's 117gr Premium load shot very well.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote