Find
Notify
Tools

How to make waterproof cartridge ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
I am interested if there are some good stuff to apply on primer and around bullet to make it sealed ? (I only know there is Loctite Neck bonder, which is more crimp alternative than water sealant I think). What is used by large ammo companies ? Is it aviable to public ?

Thank you,

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jiri,

I used to use pistol ammo in an adaptor I made for a spear gun. We used 357 and 44 magnum ammo.

To seal the primers against the water going in we used nail polish. It worked very well, and we never had any problems with it.

I think there is a commercial product available now that you can use for this purpose. I cannot recall the name, but it is blue and looks like nail polish!

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67459 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan in NC
posted Hide Post
Saeed: It's called George and Roy's Custom Primer Sealer. It's sold by Cabelas. I can't tell the difference between it and my wife's clear finger nail polish. I have used both without problems. Alan.

------------------

Posts: 120 | Location: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: 24 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Alleycat>
posted
Thin lacquer 50/50 with lacquer thinner, color your choice. Prime cases and put them in a tray primer up. Dip a toothpick in the thinned lacquer and get a small droplet on the end. Touch it to the ring between the primer and case head and move it all the way around the primer. Capilary action will pull the lacquer in and when dry your primers will be lacquer sealed.
To seal a jacketed bullet seat the bullet about 3/4 of the way and then with the same lacquer run a ring around the bullet at the case neck. Seat the bullet to finished length right away. The lacquer is pulled in as the bullet is seated. If you do this develope load with the sealer in place because it may cauce a pressure increase as the bullet is released from the brass on firing.
You can also seal jacketed bullets with thinned tar but I've never tried this.
Remember to clean the lacquer out of your seating die.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for info, it looks really easy

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heh he he I once went Spearfishing with a South African guy, his name was Edward something, one (world)champion diver and a nice funny bloke. He gave me some powerheads(shark prevention and awareness) in 375H&H. make a lovely noise underwater....

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
You can put this stuff on your ammo, but unless you have conditions where the reloads will be immersed in water for extended periods, it is not necessary to do so. I still have some ammo I loaded in the mid-1960's in Alaska, where it was wet, foggy, etc., most of the time, and it still shoots the same as the day it was loaded....

<Reloader66>
posted
Water proof your cartridges with red finger nail polish that way you will know the ones treated and the ones not treated. Clear works fine but red will tell you at a glance your cases have been treated.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I also use nail polish (Clear) but you can use any color that suits your fancy.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I believe maroon would be the cat's meoww! Or is it the bee's knees??