New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oehler 35
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the third screen necessary or is two sufficient?

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want to do with the chronograph. If you're just after an average speed over several rounds, a cheapo will certainly do. If you want to see how big the fps swings are with your new handload, you'll want the 35. My growing appreciation that fps swings mean far bigger pressure swings are happening, will lead me to buy a 35 when I return home from overseas. I can imagine that anything from a bug flying by to the odd cloud can distort the reading from time to time. I've always wondered if the fps swings I see are real or glitches. If you have a friend with another cheapie, the two of the them back to back should give you much the same effect, but with the 35, you'll be getting better accuracy since the final reading is based on the time of flight over the outer screens, and the farther the screens are apart, the more accurate will be the timing.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 & love it's consitency. I only use 2 screens, no doubt the 3rd would increase accuracy but it's not as portable, cost a bit more too. I'm looking more for final avg. vel. SD is nice but the final word is how any load shoots downrange.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have one and just use 2 screens. For my purposes - developing good safe handloads, it works fine with just the 2 screens. I find the average velocity and the SD (standard deviation) the most useful information. There is a good correlation between a low SD and accuracey.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I have the three screen 35, buy it and you are done. It doesnt take hardly anymore time to set up and it all fits in a single guncase. Just dont shoot your screens, it is not hard to do if you start chronoing saboted bullets, or let someone else shoot through it. And beleive me someone else will want to test their load.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 4' rod and three sky screens with my Oehler 35 and it only takes about 10 more seconds to set up than two screens. The third screen tells you if there is an error that you wouldn't detect with only two screens. I love my 35 and have yet to see an error.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you need the printer?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the printer because I just staple the tape to the target and can later refer back to that information when determining where to go next. wave thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You don't need the printer, but it saves you from jotting down the results after each shot. I like to save the printed log and post them in my loading notes.

I use the Oehler 35P with 3 screens and it's really added a new dimension to handloading. All my loading notes are now classified "BC" or "AC" (Before-Chrony or After-Chrony) with "BC" being of the dark ages. I kick myself for not having purchased one earlier.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought one with a printer.I have always dreamed of owning one.I trust fellow members that this is the creme de la creme of chronographs.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You will not be disapointed grasshopper thumb. Did you get the printer? I write the avg./sd down after each group. Lets my bbl. cool a bit & one less thing to hook up, buy paper for, etc.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I too waited far too long to buy the Model 35 w/printer & (3) screens. I second what above posts have stated. Bought mine last year on eBay; was like new and saved over $150!!! Maybe just got lucky; but I love it!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an El Cheapo "Chrony", the highest model they had w/ printer. It was a piece of junk in my opinion. I immediately took it back for a refund. It was very, very sensitive to the lighting and when I backed it up to a 35, it proved that the 35 was more forgiving when it comes to light or detection of the bullet about 3 to 1. Also the 35 is available with the 3 screens, which I always use.

As a long range shooter I am very anal about spreads and it is important to get the most accurate reading possible. I would also get the printer. It saves tons of time writing down all of those numbers, when you can just tear it off and staple it to the target for your records. It should be an easy decision to make.