Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie Question on 300 RUM.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
hy,I am just getting into reloading.(using my freind's reload eguip.)here is my problem, I went ahead and purchased RL.25 powder, federal 215 primer's, and nosler 180 gr. partition's. Nosler doe's not list that recipe in there manual, but hornady doe's using there 180 gr. "A" max bullet, with 3.600" C.O.L. my question what would i set my nosler's at(col.)i was going to use hornady's recipe of rl.25 81.6 TO 95.3 gr. Any info would be apreciated, seeing i only have 5 week's before moose hunt, I would hate to have to rely on factory ammo. Again Thank's :Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The COL would depend on your magazine length and the throat length of your rifle.The throat length can be determined by taking a fired casing and pressing a small flat spot in the neck so that it will hold a bullet in place.Then start a bullet into the case a small bit and carefully chamber this round in the rifle.The bullet will be pushed farther into the case when the bolt is closed. Carefully remove this round from the rifle and measure the COL.Do this several times until you get consistant results.This is the distance to the lands so the COL will be shorter than this.Then measure the magazine length and compare the measurements.The shorter of the two measurements(minus .010" in either case for clearance in the magazine or to the lands) will be the maximum Col that you can use in your rifle.From there you can experiment with shorter lengths to determine the length that provides the best accuracy.In my rifles the magazine is the limiting factor and I load to 3.670"

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard, I feel 3.6 would be fine, depending on your throat you could set it out a little further. I load my 375rum to 3.62. Just for your comparison here is some swift data for their 180gr bullets.
180 Scirocco-RL-25 87.0 2833 to max 93.5 3524 fps
180 A-frame -RL-25 85.6 2622 to max 92.0 3209 fps

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck trying to get 3524fps with 93.5gr of reloader 25.My fastest 300 ultramag produces 3395fps with 95 gr of reloader 25.This is with a 26" pac-nor barrel.Most factory guns have trouble making 3300fps with 95gr of reloader 25.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote