Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 Headspace Issue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
I have a 9.3 X 62 that has a headspace problem. My smith tells me its not really a big deal, I just need to load some cast lead bullets out to the lands and fire form the cases - stretch the brass slightly - and then just neck size the brass from then on. OK, I can do that - anyone know where I can get some cast bullets? I've never shot any before - any things I need to be aware of? Does this cause excessive fouling compared to jacketed bullets?

(also posted on Medium Bore forum)

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend taking the rifle to a different gunsmith and having the headspace corrected. If you're going to use the rifle for hunting and necksize only, you may end up with the bullets chambering tight or not at all.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

If you are starting with unfired brass there is no danger with "a little" headspace. You have to use pressure
high enough to bring the base back. If you oil the case it will form without a stretch concentration
(some people call it a stress line).
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Learn to PROPERLY set up a F/L die. By that I mean set it so the shoulders are only pushed back 2-3 thou from there fired position, so that the sized cases chamber easily. Your reloads are ment to be "custom taylered" for your rifle, and that dosn't mean only the load data but the entire package. IMHO the "cram it into the shellholder" methiod is for rank begineers, because even they can understand it.
That said, what is the actual HS error? Does it close on a NOGO gauge? Or are you suspecting a HS issue due to some other problem (like seperations or case life, both of which can be caused by excessive resizing in a chamber that is within specification).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
This is an actual Headspace issue - the action will close (barely) on a NOGO gauge.

VIP, my smith is very good and could remedy the problem by setting the barrel back and rechambering, but thinks it would just be easier to fire-form. I've heard of others doing this, I've just not done it myself. If it's simply a matter of fire forming (like many folks do), I agree with the smith that that would be an easier route to take.

I have fired some factory RWS loads and some handloads with no real problems. I just noticed that the firing pin indentations on the primers were inconsistent and one of my handloaded primers backed out of the pocket a little.

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, your at the upper limit of spec.
Smoke the neck of a fired case (this let's you see how far down the neck the die is working), and raise the die 1 turn. Lube the case (including the ID of the neck). Size the case, and adjust the die down a 1/12 turn (center of flat to corner of locknut, approx .006") at a time until the die just "bumps" the shoulder (you will feel the difference). At this point compare the bolt closing force to a fired but unsized case. If you want to push the shoulder back some more, screw the die in slightly more (you only want a couple thou clearance, so it won't take much adjusting once your close). Carefully (so as to not disturb the adjustment) lock the die in place.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does your gunsmith say is the advantage of cast bullets over jacketed for fireforming?

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, here goes a very USWAG*, If you don't full length resize,the case will protrude from the chamber more, which leaves more case wall unsupported by the barrel. This "extra" case wall is thinner, and will expand more (at same pressure) than the case wall if the case was more completely contained in the barrel. This leads to shorter case life at the least. I think this is why they call it a "NO-GO" gauge!
Just my opinion, and worth only the value you put on it.
Regards, Curley
"unscientific wild ass guess

Posts: 35 | Location: Baton Rouge, La. U.S.A. | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Here all the time I thought that the bolt face determined how much case sticks out of the chamber.
Not to old to learn somthing.

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You too, huh?
I guess it depends on weather the excess headspace is caused by the chamber being cut to deep, or by the lugs being pounded back into the receiver. Methinks Curley is thinking of the lug pound back theory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner, you are correct. As usual, I didn't put any powder in the pan! As you earlier pointed out by inference, the cases were already "fireformed", except, perhaps for the handloads, which might be a little on the low pressure side (protruding primer?).
Regards, Curley

Posts: 35 | Location: Baton Rouge, La. U.S.A. | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote