THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Another Undeniable Truth About Reloading/Shooting!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Another Undeniable Truth About Reloading/Shooting!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Quote:

Also:

"This size of the backstop is directly proportional to your ability to hit the bullseye"

If I go out and plaster the whole backstop with paper to be sure I'll see the first shot from a new rifle/scope combination, I'll be on the single target sheet in the middle. If I only staple up one target sheet, I'll miss it by a mile.

Try this next time: take out your bolt. Look down the bore and aim it at the paper target. Look up and through your scope and see how far off the scope looks. I make adjustments like this before I fire the first round. I'm usually within 7" on the first shot of the bullseye...lucky I guess.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here is another I just discovered over the weekend-

The amount of money you save by accepting some free brass is more than offset by the number of decapping pins bent by the berdan primed cartridges hiding with the boxers.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
I also have a floor that allows dropped primers to pass through it.Cool!!

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I cant believe that no one has mentioned the FACT that right after you have either placed an order or searched the town for the best buy on exactly what you want there will very soon be revealed to you a midway flyer or other like sale verifying that you just paid too much.

It is also a given that no matter which powder you decided to try this time, you should have maybe tried the other one. Did someone say something about saving money?

Good thread..

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh weed hopper,
You have much to learn.
You will buy many gadgets and doo-dads.
You will buy many different brands of powder, bullets, brass, and primers trying to get that "perfect" load. You will never quite get there. (If I stopped buying new stuff now it would still take me 800 years to amortize the cost of what I already have.)
Reloading will make you poorer.
Reloading will also make you very happy.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How does it not save you any money over buying factory ammo? I guess if you factor in what I would otherwise be getting paid at my day job, plus the cost of components its not cheaper, but looking at it from a strictly dollar for dollar perspective, it saves ALOT of money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And it never saves you any money over factory ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes!!!! I just came across a set of 444 Marlin dies
in a trade. Now I have to find the rifle.

BTW The first thing I do with a new sizing die is
to remove the decaping pin. I do all my decapping
in a decapping die then I clean the cases before
sizing.

Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HankinColorado, I've got a mental image of that lb. of VARGET being deposited on your bench! Now just for s.... & giggles, let a bag of #8 shot tip over and spill on a concrete floor!!! GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I have to agree with eldeguello on this one!

Quote:

And it never saves you any money over factory ammo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It does if you are shooting stuff like .416 Rigby or worse!!

To answer your question:

Quote:

Yeah right! And pray tell how many 1/4 used boxes of bullets do you have on your shelf? Don't stammer on me, fess up!

I have about 15 (bullets), 0.416" Speer, 350 gr Magtips (which will be shot up one day soon), and around 3.5 boxes of 600 gr Woodleigh PPSP (0.510") bullets left, they too will go out the barrel sometime (of course I have ~ 130 loaded rounds right now for the 500 and ~ 75 for the 416). I have about 1/2 box of 9.3 bullets (Speer 270 grains) they will be used up, 1/4 box of 9.3 bullets (Nosler 250 gr BT) they will get shot too, but not for hunting purposes. Need to stock up on 0.411 bullets, but waiting to hear how the 360 gr North Forks work out before I do that.

Actually, right now I am out of powder for these cannons, well except for the 0.411 for which I have ~ 1 pound left.

Believe me, it most certainly is cheaper to hand load the big bores!

The strangest thing about #2 listed in the original post on this thread, is that the case head is much heavier so it SHOULD be the first to hit, strangely the case mouth seems to. Yet another proof of Murphy's Law I suppose.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote