THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Hornady Benchrest Grade LnL Powder Measure, opinions please.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Benchrest Grade LnL Powder Measure, opinions please.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to buy a powder measure for large volume pistol reloading using non-stick type powders. I have been looking at whats out there made by RCBS, Lyman, Redding, and Hornady. Everyhting I have been able to find about evaluations of powder measures all say pretty much the same thing. For use with handgun reloading they are all about equal in terms of accuracy through to through.

After looking at what RCBS, Lyman, Redding and Hornady have to offer, I feel that the Hornady Benchrest Grade LnL Powder Measure SEEMS to be the best buy for the money. What I would greatly appreciate from anyone who owns a Hornady Benchrest Grade LnL Powder Measure is your opinion of it in trems of the falowing:
<>Accuracy
<>Ease of set up and use
<>How long does it take to set up for use
<>What if any additional item would you buy at time of purchase?

As I said I will only use this powder measure for handgun powders like .45acp, .40s&w, .38/.357, never for use with rifle powders. I have a Pact digital set up for that. I do not want to spend much over $100 total.

Thans to who ever helps me out with this and for the time it takes you to do so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Hornady's measure is a good copy of the Redding design and that's a good thing indeed, especially so for hand guns.

Neither unit is truly "BR" grade, those cost a few hundred bucks more.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady BR measure is not optimized for small discharges of pistol powder; it is designed for 30-40 gr. rifle charges. You want something that is capable of throwing less than 5 gr. charges, and this isn't the one for that.

Hornady redesigned the pistol metering set-up for their regular measure a couple of years back. It comes with a smaller rotor (drum) and the micrometer adjustment. I don't have any experience with it, but, on the surface, it may provide better metering than the Redding pistol set-up for their 3BR measure.

My choice for pistol alone would be the Redding 10X, but at $140 is more than you indicated you wanted to pay. The Hornady measure with the pistol metering conversion and a drain insert (very nice accessory) will put you right at $100, before shipping.

Make a baffle to "support" the powder column in the reservoir (copy what other mfrs. provide); it will reduce charge variation. A rigid mount for the measure is important; don't be reluctant to make your own, if so inspired.

As an afterthought, perhaps a simpler baffle arrangement is to use to use a fender washer (hardware store item) with a 3/8" center hole. Get the largest O.D. that will fit into the reservoir; it just lays in the bottom. I did not recommend this method originally because of the drain insert capability; powder would be left on the washer's flat surface, necessitating "disturbing" the measure to fully evacuate it. However, even a bent metal baffle will require some tapping or such. The washer will work better if the top of the reservoir is removed and a wire hook inserted to "tip" the washer. I see this alternate as easier and more desirable than militating against the measure's mounting. Options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i mounted one on the dillon 650 and it works very well. Other than that when it comes to powder measures redding is my #1 choice

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Win 69,
Really like the idea of the fender washer-have previously been using a homemade baffle made from aluminum soffit sheet but it looked crummy. Will mosey over to the Home Despot and find a fender washer to fit.
Great idea-thanks.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gab:
Really like the idea of the fender washer.... Will mosey over to the Home Despot and find a fender washer to fit.

Thank Glen Zediker for the washer idea. I've had better luck at Ace for a selection of diameters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You haven't actually said if you intend to use the measure on a progressive press or on a stand for batch loading.

I have all the measures you mention with all the various inserts including the micrometer ones.

Despite this I nearly always use a Lee Pro Disk on my progressive press and an old stand mounted Lee Auto Disk for batch loading. This latter measure is discontinued now and did require modification for large volume loading.

I find the Disk system extremely reliable, repeatable and easy to set up. It galls me that such a cheaply made system outperforms the other measures I have FOR THIS PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

If the Disks don't throw the correct weight of powder that I want and it really matters, which it usually doesn't, then I go to the Hornady. I have all but retired my other measures.