New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua Data?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just received my Sako TRG-S 995 in 338 Lapua from 500 Grains - great person to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any way, before I rechamber to the Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan, I'm going to try it in it's stock caliber 338 Lapua.

Other than what's listed on this site, does anyone have any load combos that they'd recommend? 250gr bullets are planned.

Thanx in advance.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend RL25 powder, and stick with the Lapua. If it were me, I would never rechamber it. You have about the best 338 cartridge chambered in it now, so why mess with it?

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Tigar>
posted
No data - I'm planning a .338 soon though. I agree with Ken, why change? Lapua makes some of the best brass in the world and Lazzeroni some of the worst, and the Lazzeroni brass cost more (you can get 338 Lapua brass from Norma even cheaper yet). You may have your reasons though - good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 gr is excellent to deal with, I will second that, I bought his .338 lapua dies. I have ordered a AR 30M .338 Lapua and it is to be shipped in September (another words Christmas). If for some reason I can not get it into Australia I will buy the Sako TRG S .338 Lapua.

I have read heaps of good stuff about this cartridge for it's long range capabilities. I would also be interested in velocity figures and reloading data.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far, my bets 338 Lapua load gives me 2965 fps. 250 gr Hornady, over 96.5 gr of RL 22, COL of 3.625", Rem 9 1/2 Large Magnum primer, Lapua brass. This is a substantial increase over factory ammo (2750 fps w 250 gr bullet) but still not what I had hoped for. I'm testing RL 25 right now, and it looks very promising. The rifle is A Sako TRG as well. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the info.

My modeling shows that the Lazzeroni 8.59 holds 10grs more than the 338 Lapua.

With that, I would hope for 3100-3200 with the 250s.

Will advise.

I'll start with the Lapua to make sure the gun and rings are going to hold together, and then I'll ream it to the Lazzeroni.

Thanx again.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should easily be able to work to over 3000 FPS with RL25 in the Lapua. The Lazzeroni takes 10 grains more powder to gain 100-200 fps? Is it worth it? Lazzeroni often has "Weatherby syndrome" when listing velocities. They look great on paper, but are not realistic or sometimes even reachable.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
i just ordered the lapua relading manual, i'm hoping it has some good data on the .338. i've only tried two loads in my trg-s and got 3001 fps with 250 gr hornady infront of 88gr of H4831 fed 215 primer.

<Carlos>
posted
PAW: I currently am using the C.T. 200gr ballistic tip with 100gr Reloader 22, Fed 215 and Lapua brass which gives me 3340 to 3350 fps average. The 100gr load is at or very near max. According to Hornady data it's over their max of 98gr. The new Barnes manual #3 has some very interesting data for their 215gr XBC bullet using "Big Boy" powder(never heard of it, is it Retumbo?),110gr? giving 3398fps! This has the best ballistics downrange of any bullet in the .338 Lapua that I have seen. As for the Lazeroni, although it has more capacity, I think the 24.5 inch barrel is going to hold you back on any real gains in velocity. What I'm seriously contempating is rebarreling to a 28" barrel and chambering for the .338 Lapua Improved,(40 deg. shoulder)I can then use Lapua brass and fireform.

<bens>
posted
I was just about to order a TRG-S .338 Lapua. I got a price of $738.00 (6% Ohio Sales Tax included) from my local dealer. It seemed high.....What do you think?
I was going to post this same question about load data. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's what I paid for mine, but in CDN $, so I think that is a might high. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Tigar>
posted
FWIW for those looking to milk some more velocity from the 338 Lapua you might find this link interesting. A guy with 40lb gun trying to shoot prarie dogs at 2+ miles - tried 338 Lapua Improved, but then decided the 100-200 fps gain was nearly insignificant and much tougher on the barrel. This is discussed about 3/4 down the page. http://www.theaccuraterifle.com/feb02.html

Quote:
"As it turns out 2 mile flight time is insignificantly shortened by 100-200 f.p.s. more velocity, therefore, although Kreg is using a case that is capable of more horsepower, he chose to stick with his original load of 85 gr. IMR 7828 in the improved case".

If it doesn't matter at 2.5 miles trying to set a record, it likely matters even less at 500-1000 yds ... he also had like a 39" barrel. Just FYI - (as mentioned, I'm looking into a new 338 too, and found this in some of my research.)